Camping allowed near Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwadk

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is designated camping are near herd path to Allen. By the way, anyone know if there have been any changes in camping or herd path in this area since the OSI land purchase?

D

No, there are no camping areas (along the route) until you enter State Land just prior to reaching Skylight Brook. Nothing designated for sure. The sites at Skylight Brook are only marginally legal (150' from water rule) if they are at all. To be honest, while it is long, I wouldn't view Allen as a multi-day hike unless there is a pressing reason to do so.

It's a very doable dayhike and over 7 miles to the nearest (possibly illegal) campsite. Why bother with extra gear? Unless I knew I was a real slow hiker, just wanted a night in the woods, or was finishing and wanted to get out of the woods by like 4 PM to party :), I wouldn't see the need.

Last edited:
In addition to the informal campsites near Skylight Brook, there is a very nice designated campsite one flat mile toward Flowed Lands from the start of the Allen herdpath. The begining of the Allen herdpath and all land beyond the gate at 2.9 mi. on the marked trail is owned by Finch,Pruyn and is NOT part of the recent OSI purchase. Private land restrictions therefore very much apply to this area.

I just camped at the designated campsites near Allen last weekend. It is a great spot. Privy has a fallen tree right on it, kind of cool to see.

Allen would definitely be doable in a day but we wanted to do Allen as part of a backpacking trip to grab other peaks along the way. Ended up only doing Marshall as well since Allen took us 11 hours and we started at noon so we were pretty tired Saturday night.

-Shayne