Twins/Galehead 2/13/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
02atwinsgalehead21310.jpg

Today's Hikers

North Twin 4761'/ South Twin 4902'/ Galehead 4024'

Herd Path to North Twin Trail/North Twin Trail/North Twin Spur/Twinway/Frost Trail/Garfield Ridge Trail/Gale River Trail/Snowmobile and Ski Trails to Beaver Brook

14 +/- Miles 3900' +/- Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy, Emma, Beth, Steve, Fran, Karen, Mark, Steve, Gary, Tim & Val

We had a perfect fore cast day for a hike that would put us above treeline for part of the hike. An inversion meant the summit would be warmer than the approach, clearing summits and undercast would be possible. The summits never cleared enough for us to get a good look around, but it made for some interesting atmospheric conditions including a fogbow that was prominent as soon as we were above treeline and stayed with us across the ridge until we began the descent from South Twin.

28atwinsgalehead21310.jpg

Approach to North Twin

We had a great group and set a great pace that got us through the hike in just a little over book time, not bad for such a big group in winter. It was great to meet many the people who I have only had internet relations as well as to see some others we have made friends with through hiking. It was a great time!

37atwinsgalehead21310.jpg

Fogbow

When we stopped just before popping above treeline on North Twin I committed the ultimate winter photography sin and knocked snow into my camera bag covering my lens. I spent the rest of the day trying to keep the moisture from icing up on the lens. I missed a lot of shots I would have liked to have, and messed up some others, but with cropping and some photoshop tricks I managed to post some pictures I can live with, though I would have liked to have done better. The important thing is we all got through the hike intact. Jude can add 3 more to her winter resume and Emma and I finally got to South Twin on our third try.

41atwinsgalehead21310.jpg

Not a great shot, but Black-backed Three-toed Woodpecker Picoides arcticus

I wish we had the views from the Twins as some in our party had been there in the fog on their previous visit. South Twin is one of my favorite viewing mountains. We'll just have to go back again! Thanks to everyone for having us along, and to Beth and Steve who invited us. Also, thanks to everyone for helping with Emma throughout the hike, and especially to Tim who spent a good amount of time looking out for her welfare. Val, I think it might be time for Tim to get a little dog of his own! : )

Full set of pics here:

KDT

Kevin - Nice report. Nice pictures too despite the "snow job" on the lenses. Enjoyed meeting you, Judy, Emma & the rest of the crew.

Spaderman

Thanks for posting the pics Kevin..

good day and a good time was had by all

congrats on bagging the elusive South Twin!!

Lots of first timers today....;

Last edited:
ran into some of your group as i was descending south twin. great day to be out.

Thanks, folks!

Farmer- I was disappointed to have just missed you near Galehead Hut. I don't know how I wound up out front of the group, I must have fallen and slid all the way down off South Twin, only explanation...

KDT