Hikers Falls into Mt. St. Helens Crater

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd read that he had taken off his pack and jacket. But if he was blowing his whistle for a while, how does he carry it -- around his neck? Maybe I should re-think where I carry mine.

I hope this turns out as a rescue. We were there twice in the past few years, once turning around before summiting because we didn't want to walk off the edge due to white-out conditions. The edge does drop quickly.

I'd read that he had taken off his pack and jacket. But if he was blowing his whistle for a while, how does he carry it -- around his neck?

That's where I carry mine...for exactly this reason.

If it's true that he didn't have his pack/jacket when he fell, I hope his mates tossed them down to him, at least.

I too wear my whistle on a lanyard...you never know, I guess.

Do I understand right that he fell 1500'?? I hope he survived, but that's a long rough fall to survive.

One news thread I saw suggested that because he took his jacket off, because he was hot from the climb, that he wouldn't have the padding that a jacket would have provided him during the fall. From my experience most winter hiking jackets are not the puffy ones we put on while resting, but not much more than a wind breaker. I'm hoping for good news.

Last edited:
If you click on the first link in this thread you'll see the sad news - he did not survive. He was from Kelso, WA.

FYI

Cornices tend to fracture inward of the crest of the terrain.

When travelling a corniced ridge keep this in mind as you try and determine the crest of the terrain to establish a safe travel distance.

This is a good depiction.