Another tracking ID help, please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
Whike hiking up Big Slide trail in ADk, we saw an animal track in the middle of the trail for a good mile or so.

Here is a picture of the print, about 2.5-3" long, and here is the gait it made, almost in a straight line.

Thanks

Keith may be right but I was going to guess fisher. The gait looks to long and the track too big for a skunk.

I found this online, the overall shape does looks like what we saw. Kim who was there too thought the paw size was more like 2-2.5". I remembered the paw prints were all in similar size, no distinct different between the hind and front paw. Wish I took more pictures :(. I was hoping it was something cool like a fox. Oh well, glad it's not a mountain lion.

Just for the fun of it, here are some good links about animal tracking:
http://www.bear-tracker.com/mammals.html
http://www.ussartf.org/animal_tracking.htm
http://web.me.com/jonahwy/Tracking/Mammal_Tracks/Mammal_Tracks.html
http://www.pbase.com/mwalker427/tracks&page=all

Thanks.

Keith may be right but I was going to guess fisher. The gait looks to long and the track too big for a skunk.

I argued amongst myself about this also. Fisher or Skunk. The walking gait doesn't look like a Fisher to me. They usually bound though they do walk in this fashion also and the size difference of the footprint if measured correctly did bother me. But prints generally get bigger as they degrade. The lack of any nail prints bothers me as well. It could be that the prints are too degraded to see fine detail like nail prints. And nail prints don't always show up in the snow from a Fisher anyway. It is possible that the print is from a Fisher for sure. If you followed it and it went into the snow then it would be a Fisher for certain. You could be right Mick, again it was my best guess.

Keith

I belive it is a juvenile yeti.;)

on a serious note on track photos, it helps to take one picture with a pocket knife or other item for reference.

I don't believe skunk are present in the high peaks. Fishers are not common either. What is common of that size in the American marten, or pine marten. About the size of a house cat and they often walk the hiking trails. Similar, smaller prints and leaving black stringy feces, are the short-tailed weasel, or ermine.

I'm w/ Joe....I've seen these tracks outside LeanTo's after being visited by Pine Martens during the night...and skunks hibernate

So I get a little carried away, I emailed strangers online (wait a minute... never mind ;)) to get more input about the tracking...

Here is his response:
Hi HuiYeng

Thanks for the photos and email. THat does look interesting. I would like a closer look. the pattern almost appears like a one- two- one pattern---
where one foot lands, the next track has a front and a rear track, followed by a single track. If this is the case it is common amongst a few animals but
with the small, pointy toes (5) showing with claws (forming the sharp point) it makes me think that it is likely a fisher---possibly a marten. The width
of the tracks would decipher between the two. Although, a pine marten may frequent the pines of that area more. The fisher and pine marten are quite
similar with the fisher being larger on more of a ground dweller. Very interesting animals and worth reading up on. LEt me know if this makes sense
with what you saw.

Yours in nature

Chad Clifford
www.wildernessrhythms.com

Jason did see a pine marten the next day near Colvin. Very cool!

A great book

If anyone is interested there is a great book on animal tracks called "Tracking & The Art of Seeing", How to read Animal Tracks and Sign, By Paul Rezendes.

It is a little heavy to carry around in a backpack but if you can get a good set of photos of the tracks, scat too, when you get home you can spend time reading about the various animals and their tracks.

Even has been useful in my yard as to who has been around during the night.:eek:

Most compasses have a ruler on the side, so next time you can measure the tracks with it! ;)

Martens are pretty neat critters, there used to be one who hung out on 19 Mile Brook Trail near the pond and hut. We stopped at the pond for our lunch on one hike and while I was having a hard time opening my thermos, he made off with my PB & J! :eek::eek:

We had seen him on at least 3 trips there, but this was years ago.

Nice picture Jason! I am never that fast with the camera...