Zipper replacement?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
I now have TWO daypacks with defective main-compartment zippers: they separate after being zipped closed. With each of them, I can zip the bag closed and pull vigorously on the pack trying to get the zipper to separate, and the zipper seems to hold firmly... but when I actually use the things, after a while they each pop open.

Does anyone know where to obtain appropriate zippers? They would have to be oxbow or horseshoe shaped, I presume.

And to anticipate the first question, I have not yet made contact with the manufacturers. Jansport is one; I'm not sure of the other. The Jansport daypack is probably 15-20 years old.

This may help: take a pair of pliers and squeeze the "tail end" of the zipper slide a little bit tighter, so it pushes the teeth together (side to side) more snugly. Clean/lube might also help, although in the end it's probably just buying time.

Not sure what you mean by a "horseshoe shaped" zipper. Normally they're flexible enough to follow the curve of the item, unless I'm misunderstanding. Try Quest Outfitters; the #10 tooth under "make your own" should be good, although maybe a little too heavy. Their tips may be useful, as well as Thru-Hiker's article.

Not sure what you mean by a "horseshoe shaped" zipper. Normally they're flexible enough to follow the curve of the item, unless I'm misunderstanding.

Sorry that wasn't clear. The main compartment zipper starts at either the lower left or right front corner of the daypack (there are two tabs/handles) and swings up over the top center of the pack, like an upside-down U.

I had to borrow my wife's Mountainsmith, and it has straight-across zippers... a great daypack!

Thanks, both, for the links! I guess I'll call Jansport first, then dig around on the 'net.

Our Maryland snow is impressive, even for Northern folks. On the way to work this morning I had to crawl under several tall, slender evergreens that had fallen across the sidewalk.

normal straight zippers are manipulated into position for sewing into the shape of the pack's inverted u shape.

Sometimes the problem is the slider being damaged and a replacement slider can be purchased and installed on the existing zipper track. If you prefer some stores can do this repair; such as the repair dept at Campmor.