hut to hut in ME by bike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's certainly a lot of biking opportunities up around Moosehead Lake and the logging roads into Little Lyford Pond, Medawisla and cabins at Long Pond would offer some dusty opportunities. I'm not sure there's much mountain biking but maybe there are some suggestions on the Moosehead Lake C of C website.

What the link refers to is the Maine Huts and Trails system, especially attrcative to xc skiers and snowshoers, where I believe there would be some biking opportunities on some combination of logging roads and trails. There are only two huts constructed to date with another on the way .. eventually the system will stretch from the Mahoosucs to Moosehead.

Last edited:
I believe you can mtn bike between the two Maine Huts that have already been built (Poplar Stream Falls and Flagstaff). I think I had that conversation with the hut keeper over the summer....but I may have been under the influence :D

The new AMC camps in Maine are interconnected by logging roads (some that are being closed to vehicle traffic) but in no way, can someone mountain bike the AT from hut to hut. The AT is on the ridgeline for most of this section and the huts tend to be down in the valleys at the foot of the moutains. So it was better described as hut to hut while occasionally crossing the AT at road intersections. Still probably a nice place to go for about the 2 months per year when the black files and skeeters dont chase one out of the woods, but not an AT experience.

There is vehicle access to AMC's sporting camps (Little Lyford, Medawisla, etc), so I'm sure you can also bike from one to the other. It may not be as direct as skiing from one to the other, but can be done.

And to other shelters, etc, as long as the logging roads are not closed to bikes then I'm sure it could be done. I'd need to study the maps real good to figure it all out.

oh yeah, those logging roads are awesome! spent alot of time there poppin' road sodas and four wheelin' in my civic. good times avoiding the logging trucks and bottoming out on the insane road conditions in spring before they graded it. i mean trenches so big that you'd feel safe in them during WWII. oh, biking on the roads? good luck! ;)

Last edited: