a long time between hikes!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loanshark

Reaction score
It has been nearly 5 months since Liz has been able to get out on the trails. In September she ruptured her L4&5, and followed that up with surgery. The surgery did not go well. Recently she has been going to PT 3 times a week. It seems to have made a difference. Today, perhaps we took a small step to getting back in the game. We hiked locally at the Ward Hill Reservation. For those not familiar with Ward Hill, it is a gem. It has 700 acres with 14 miles of trails. It is also part of the Bay Circuit Trail. We were the first to arrive just at 8 a.m. We brought snow shoes but did not need them. Micro spikes were needed as the trails were very iced up. We chose to start by climbing Holt Hill. The Hill's summit is home to a firetower and some solstice stones. Also from this vantage point you could see the Boston Skyline. We quickly made our way down the Graham Trail to the Elephant Rock Trail. From Elephant Rock you can make out the towers from the power plant in Salem. I followed Liz's pace all the way. I was impressed at how quickly she cruised along. It was almost as if she never took any time off. We made a nice loop and ended up back at the firetower. We only hiked about 2 hours but we did not want to push too hard on the first trip out. Hopefully tomorrow will not bring any setbacks. I know this trip report may not sound as exciting as a Bonds Traverse, but it was special to us. We've posted a few pics.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/576813492EwRogc?vhost=outdoors

The Ward Res. is a gem - one of TTOR's finest. In the Springtime, check out the boardwalk through a bog south of Holt Hill. There is good XC'ing there too, during real winters.

Well-done to Liz on her return!

a long time between hikes

Thanks Amicus, Liz has put up with alot, but she is determined to get back to real hiking.

Great news about your hike today Skip! :D Hope tomorrow brings nothing but some light stiffness from those unused muscles and the recuperation continues well.

Thanks Ken, I know you and your hiking partner have had some injury issues to deal with as well. Hope to see you soon.

Hey Skip, I enjoyed hiking with you a couple weeks ago on the Twins and Galehead. Glad to hear that your hiking partner is back on the trails! Mike

Thanks Mark, Waumbeck has been on our mind for a while. We need to take a few more small steps first.

You Go Girl

I'm impressed and inspired by this thread and I wish all the best to Liz in her return to hiking. Setbacks happen to us all and it is motivating to see someone who refuses to give up on something she loves. I'll be thinking of her the next time some obstacle stands between me and the mountains.

Skip, that's great news about your hiking buddy. Hope the progress continues.

Petch

long time between hikes

Thanks Tony, I don't think you will see Liz give up. At least not without a fight. Thanks Petch, No setbacks today. Maybe we might stretch it out a bit next time. She only needs Waumbeck and Moriah to complete the 48, and she's been asking alot of questions about Waumbeck lately.