Finishing the winter 48 on Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
We tried desperately to get this one done on Saturday, but got caught in pea soup fog and had to bail.

The weather report for today seemed to offer a window so we decided to try it again.

We started from the Cog Railroad and the Jewell trail up to the treeline was a virtual winter wonderland.

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

004-6.jpg

Up at the treeline there was still a great deal of fog although not as thick as Saturday.

004-7.jpg

We walked through this fog all morning and it was only when we reached the last couple of hundred feet below the summit that we walked up through the clouds. Here Lauky and I share a very special moment together--the finish of the winter 48.

007-2.jpg

On the way back the ceiling dropped below us and there were some very dramatic views.

015.jpg

Even Mt. Washington peaked out from above.

011-1.jpg

And Jefferson also peaks out and says a fond farewell.

016-1.jpg

Here a group moving ahead of us drops down into the abyss.

023-1.jpg

Finally we head down ourselves saying goodbye to a very special and magical day.

024.jpg

Ed, a huge congratulations to you and Lauky! Fantastic news. :D

You pictures are incredible. The last two in particular are stunning!

Congratulations Ed! Job well done.
John & June

Congratulations ED!

Congratulations Ed!!! Good job on doing the W48 and for persevering in the fog and getting rewarded with the cool undercast views. I'm proud to have joined you on one of your WNH4K's that being Passaconaway with Buffy. That's a couple of years back now. That was also a great day in the mountains. The shot with the group descending into the clouds is a great composition! Very dramatic.

Congratulations to both of you. Great accomplishment and great photos!

Way to go, Ed...(you too, Lauky). How many more does Lauky have to do?

Thanks Tom. I started the winter hiking with Duffy and divided it into three parts. We did 32 in two years then he died. The next winter I had to let Lauky grow up a bit before hiking and this year Lauky and I finished it off so he has those 16 plus a few from the end of the winter the year before about 22 altogether.

And thanks to all the rest of you for your kind words. :)

Aw, that's great, Ed!
I'm sure that Duffy was looking down upon the two of you, if not right there at your side in Spirit.

Yes indeed I think he was. Winter hiking was really Duffy's thing, he never seemed to get cold. I don't think I ever saw him shiver. Monday it was not really cold up there and when we finally got into the sun it was actually warm. On the other hand the day we did the Twins and Galehead it was quite cold and I had to keep Lauky moving pretty much all day without stopping to keep him warm.

When I look back at pictures of Duffy I've noticed how in the summer his tongue is always hanging out, he didn't like the heat. Lauky rarely looks hot.

The little firebrand and the laid back gentle giant, you couldn't ask for better hiking companions, unless of course it happened to be an Aussie. :)

Hope to see you at the awards in April if not before.