Daypack follow-up- ventilated or not

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
Outdoor retailers around are still awaiting their spring shipments so can't try out packs yet; still reading web reviews for now. A follow-up question - In shopping around for a 22-30 liter (or maybe 1300-1900 ci) daypack with Osprey and Gregory brands of interest, past suggestions here were about 50/50 ventilated vs. non-ventilated packs. The idea of hot weather ventilation sounds great but three things concern me on ventilated (Stratos series, Z series. (1) the potential load being a bit further from the body, (2) the extra pack weight for the required materials in such a design, and (3)curved pack for loading.

For 3 season Adirondack all-day ascents, how do you evaluate the pros and cons of ventilated packs? (anxiously awaiting to try on new Stratos 24 and 26 and new Gregory Z-30 vs. Talon series or MH Fluid series)

I absolutely love my Stratos 22. I haven't noticed any real problem with the load being too far out or the curve impeding loading. It's a great pack, sits well, and my back sweats like mad anyhow, so this just improves it a bit. You do have access to the mesh area; I hang my water bladder in there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that pack.

I like the ventilated back on my Z-30 which is 2 years old. It carries really well even when overloaded. The only negative is that the curvature makes it hard to retrieve items on the bottom. You can't just rummage around.
Also, when you load up the main compartment, the shove-it pocket and the outer zippered pocket get stretched and you can't put much in there. Even the mesh side pockets lose their capacity.

Good for going-light daytrips. Maybe the new model is better?

Also, the hipbelt buckles are sewn in, so you can't replace them so easily. I had to wait 3 weeks for Gregory to send me a new webbing/buckle set.

I am quite satisfied with my Osprey Stratos 40, not that I have anything else to compare it to to be perfectly fair. Any amount of sweat relief for me is a huge win. I have hung the water bladder in there once but it made the water hotter and my back less comfortable and so I have avoided doing so ever since. It works out that in summer it is a bit larger than necessary so having the bladder inside is not a problem. In winter it is just big enough and I hang the water in insulated bottle jackets on the outside anyway.

I realize this answers neither of your specific questions :rolleyes: (nothing to compare it with; never been to the ADKs/summer and winter in the Whites) but I do think it is a good brand and would recommend it. I will certain consider Osprey again for any other pack needs I have in the future.

Tim

Key Point

...It's a great pack, sits well, and my back sweats like mad anyhow, so this just improves it a bit. ...

This is the key point for me. If I'm moving, I'm sweating. And I have yet to see the miracle fabric or pack design that prevents my back from getting completely soaked. So I put my emphasis on wearing a wicking fabric for a shirt - I don't use cotton t-shirts even in summer - and a pack that sits well.

I have 2 Osprey ventilated packs. It would be difficult to start wearing my non ventilated packs after wearing these for the last few years. Nothing like it.

Stratos 40...I sweat alot and it really does help...

You would be nuts not to buy this Lowe Alpine Vision 40 for the listed price of $35. I've had one for years. The ventilation is superb, the durability is excellent, the ride is comfortable, blah blah blah. It is such a good pack that sometimes I think Lowe Alpine had to quit making it in order to jumpstart sales of new packs.

EDIT: Honest to God, if mine weren't in such good shape, I never would have told you about this one offered for sale. ;)

Last edited:
You would be nuts not to buy this Lowe Alpine Vision 40 for the listed price of $35. I've had one for years. The ventilation is superb, the durability is excellent, the ride is comfortable, blah blah blah. It is such a good pack that sometimes I think Lowe Alpine had to quit making it in order to jumpstart sales of new packs.

Thanks for the good find. However, I'm not fond of the weight of the pack, perhaps consistent for the volume but I really don't want a pack over 3 pounds. This one lists as 3 pounds 7 ounces. Isn't that considered heavy for a non-winter desired day pack?

Thanks for the good find. However, I'm not fond of the weight of the pack, perhaps consistent for the volume but I really don't want a pack over 3 pounds. This one lists as 3 pounds 7 ounces. Isn't that considered heavy for a non-winter desired day pack?

I used it for several years as my SAR pack. If it's actually seven ounces over three pounds, it doesn't feel like it in the hand. I never thought of its weight until today -- it rides that well.

If you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you and keep it, or make a profit reselling it. I'm dead serious, and so is this pack.

I've used the Deuter AC Lite 25 (for example, http://www.lightinthebox.com/DEUTER-AC-Lite-25-Backpack--B-B006-_p6777.html) for about five years now. I think they were among the first with a ventilated back. I use it year-round now, unless I need to carry more gear in the winter. My back still sweats, but the sweat evaporates quickly. The trade-off is the shoulder straps can cause more strain. Also it is not a big bag, which I find limits how much junk I take with me.

As for your other questions: the pack feels like it's right on my back, not swinging around and definitely not too far from my body. Deuter AC Lite is 2 lbs 3 oz, lighter than my previous daypack. Loading a curved pack isn't much of an issue for me, although again it's a small pack. In a push I can fit emergency stuff, change of socks/underwear, shirt, sweater, food, 3-liter Camelbak, maps, wallet, phone, and strap a waterproof coat under the lid. It also has a rainshell attached and straps/bungee for hiking poles.

Last edited:
For several years I have been well pleased carrying a good size lumbar pack fitted with a shoulder harness. It sits low and fits snugly on and against my lower back. The shoulder harness allows plenty of wide-open ventilation while providing excellent additional load support

There are two or three other benefits. I found the lower riding pack helps me feel more secure on my feet; the lower riding pack makes it easier to duck under blowdowns and the like; the pack snugged up against my lower back provides support that makes me a lot more comfortable on long days.

G.

I've used the Deuter AC Lite 25 (for example, http://www.lightinthebox.com/DEUTER-AC-Lite-25-Backpack--B-B006-_p6777.html) for about five years now. .

LOVE THOSE DEUTERS!
I gifted my Osprey Talon 33to a VFTT hiker in December. It was a great pack but my shoulders and back were really hurting a lot when I wore it. Keep in mind that "granny's" body isn't as sound as some of yours.
That being said...I wore the blue Futura 28 on an 8 mile Stratton Pond hike last summer and have used it on shorter day hikes all winter. It's always the same.The back feels very supported and the ventilation system on these packs is great. When I arrived back at the trailhead parking lot I mentioned to my friend that I hated to take the pack OFF because I was losing my back brace! I have never felt that with a pack before.
The small red one is super if for short day walks with a pup all seasons.
I also have the AC 25 (my first deuter),that Dan mentions,but I cannot carry the "recommended" weight in it because for it doesn't give me enough support.
IMG_0596.jpg

DEUTER AC25 (not pictured in my post)
1500 cu in
2lbs-3oz
15-20 (max) lbs

DEUTER FUTURA SL 40 ('Big Red"!)
2450 cu in
weight 3lb-1oz
20-30 lbs
DEUTER

1700 cu in
FUTURA 28 (blue)
2LBS-40Z
1700 cu in

I have an Osprey Stratos 24 in size L. There are 2 things I like about this pack - it's ventilated back panel, and the little pockets on the waistband. However, the fabric isn't particularly UV resistant, and deteriorates quickly in the intense sunlight of the Sierra. I've got several snags and one tear in mine - it's about 2 years old.

I use it constantly, but when I replace it I'll get an REI house brand for about 1/3 less. If I'm going to pay top dollar for an Osprey, I expect the fabric to last.

The lack of UV resistance might not be as much of an issue in more northern latitudes.

I have an Osprey Ceres 38 about 5 years old and within 2 years the mesh material that covers the hipbelt had started to shred, pilling quickly from friction.
My Z-30's side pockets are made of mesh so thin that you can practically push your finger through, as I did when checking out a tiny snag.
I hope the search for better ultralight materials goes on...

Tried on new model Stratos 24. Did not like-felt like weight pulling away from my back.

After all this-bought a Granite Gear pack-felt the best.