2 caught in avalanche

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
Two backcountry skiers were caught in an avalanche on Wright Peak on Saturday--the location of a fatal avalanche in 2000. Although partially buried, they were able to dig themselves out. You can find more details here.

Thanks for the update and I am glad they made it out ok. I had heard about this through a fellow hiker that was in the area Saturday.

So this brings up a good point. I am heading in to do Allen on this upcoming Saturday. Is the slope of the slide steep enough to give way to an avalanche? What precautions should one take in that area?

Thanks,
adam

So this brings up a good point. I am heading in to do Allen on this upcoming Saturday. Is the slope of the slide steep enough to give way to an avalanche? What precautions should one take in that area?
Lacking any equipment, stay to the side. I have never heard of the Allen Slide avalanching, but it is pretty steep.

Interview with avalanche survivors

For those interested, I have posted PDFs of an interview with two survivors of the fatal avalanche on Wright in 2000. It first ran in the Adirondack Explorer in 2003. It's the most in-depth account of what happened that day on Wright.