Sheds & Your Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Just moved into a house with no attic and no basement, so most of the gear might end up going into an unconnected and unheated shed.

What can be stored in an unheated shed, and what shouldn't be?

~ Sleeping bags? Does the constant temperature fluctuation eventually hurt its temperature rating?; Any issues with moisture fluctuations affecting the bags? Any difference in regards to down vs. synthetic bags and storing them in a shed?
~ Sleeping pads? Any issues with moisture affecting the pads? I'm guessing the self-inflating function would probably be damaged?
~ Tents? Any issues with moisture affecting the tents? Could the tent poles be affected (i.e. could the drawstrings get dried out/corroded?)?
~ Backpacks? Any issues with moisture affecting the backpacks? Could the backpack straps be affected (i.e. could the straps get dried out/corroded?)?
~ Stoves? Any issues here?
~ Bug Candles? Any issues here? What's the shelf life of this stuff, and will it decrease with constant temperature variations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thinking about my shed, my primary concern would be "critters" of various forms causing problems. I have had bugs, spiders etc. mess up coleman stoves I left there and I shudder to think what the rodent population would do to sleeping bags and backpacks. Not sure of how your shed is set up and where it is but come kind of container to store things in may help.

I keep equipment in a closet in an unheated garage that I designed for that purpose. Your major concern should be rodents. Cover all possible entries with hardware cloth. I also provided cross flow ventilation, secured with hardware cloth. Monitor it weekly just to be sure. The garage goes as low as about 15F. I also use plastic tubs for the high(er) end gear. In 15 years, there have been no problems. Just remember to keep checking and, of course, store no food, even freeze dried. The mice will find it sooner or later.
P.S. Mice like things horizontal to nest in, not vertical. I hang thermarests and whatever else Ii can on the wall. Make your own decision about d-con; it may attract them. I don't use the stuff but do let the cat in from time to time.

Last edited:
Not sure of how your shed is set up and where it is but come kind of container to store things in may help.

^^^This iz korrekt.

Pick up a bunch of those big honkin' Rubbermaid bins from the local Target/Wally World and store your gear in them before putting out in da shed. It's cheap insurance against moisture/critters.

You may already know this, but it's not the best idea to store your sleeping bags in their compression/stuff sacks, or they can lose their loft over time.

Roadtripper, I have the same issue. No attic, basement or garage. I do a unheated shed but have concerns about storing gear in there. The stuff I can pack into a large rubbermaid container isn't the issue. Its my packs, down items and my bikes. I have a 3rd bedroon that I use as my library and "gear" room. I would prefer to get my gear and bikes in the shed but...

I had to put my bikes in there for a week or so when I was doing dry wall work and painting the bedroom and I started to get rust on the chain. So I am going to keep everything inside.

Clothes and sleeping bags stay in the house. Everything else goes either in the shed or the garage. In season boots are in the garage on the shoe shelf. Out of season boots go into a series of duffel bags, zipped shut with a few moth balls thrown in (the bag, not the boots) for the deterence of creepies and fuzzies. In the spring the tents are set up, aired out and cleaned if required. Backpacks are hosed down, cleaned and air dried. In 22 years in this house, I have not had any problems with these storage methods.

JohnL

The only one I know can be affected with extreme heat are synthetic sleeping bags - fibers can melt together and it will lose loft. But I think that's more of an issue when storing it in a very hot attic.

My stuff has been in the barn for years with no problems. I keep it in totes and bags because of squirrels.
Bob

Mice are the main thing I worry about with the gear I store over the garage.
It never crossed my mind that they might not be interested in things hangin vertical.

Mostly I"m thinking you have a wooden shed...but if it's a metal shed I would be a bit more concerned with the temp fluctuations making condensation on the walls etc, or over heating... kind of like leaving stuff in your car trunk on a hot day (or for the summer) The things can get pretty nasty (mold) or brittle (from heat). So you'll be wanting to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Store stuff in totes large enough to have some extra space, then put an anti-water container in the tote with it and seal it up. The lack of moisture will prevent mold from forming. They can be found readily at most hardware stores in bag and bowl form, usually for less than $10. People put them in boats and RV's when they store them to prevent condensation.

These are a lot of good responses if the shed is necessary.

But…depending on the house don’t overlook some possible storage spaces.

Rethink closets. Many closets are the typical shelf and pole across the length. If there is room behind the hanging clothes you may be able to put up hooks or clips on the back wall to hang open sleeping bags, and/or store pads and inflated air mattresses. Look up. There may be room for a second shelf where tents and packs, and more, can go. Sleeping bags can be lightly stuffed in large pillow cases. Empty packs can also be hung on hangers through the loop you lift the pack by.

Can the closets be redone? In my case the closets are deep enough (36”) that 2 shelf/pole sections were put on one side (one above the other) and shelves on the other, with hooks and a high shelf on the back wall.

Under the bed or couch? If there is space you can get containers (or cut down boxes) that slid under the bed or couch for empty packs, pads, other gear.

The kitchen? Is there space above the cabinets? Totes or boxes or even nice baskets (depending on who you live with) can hold lots of pack contents.

A corner cabinet? Don’t overlook those assemble yourself cabinets that Wal-Mart and others sell.