Rocky Peak Ridge #45!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to pull this off, as I was wicked tired and sore after hiking the Dix range the day before, but I was determined to hike Rocky Peak Ridge on Sunday (9/5/04) if at all possible. I was apprehensive, and not sure if I was physically capable of doing this hike on that day, but I was going to give it my best try. My mantra for the day was “take it slow and keep going.” I would say my attitude was "grim determination"…not my usual hiking attitude …but its all I had to work with on that particular morning.

My left ankle was awful sore, and didn’t seem as strong as my right ankle as I started up from the Roaring Brook trailhead. I stepped gingerly up and over the rocks and roots, trying to protect it and wondering how in the world I was going to make it up and down two mountains if it was this non-functional this early in the hike. But hiking fool that I am, I pressed on. Despite the fact that it was Labor Day weekend, I pretty much had the trail to myself. I love the part of the trail before you cross the brook. Its one of those wide, soft, “walk in the park” trails surrounded by tall trees, and soft green filtered sunlight. My grim attitude began to dissolve as I allowed myself to enjoy the beauty. I also noticed that my ankle was getting stronger as I continued on. After crossing the brook, the “walk in the park” section gradually turned into the usual rock hopping, followed by a steep root-grabbing-boulder-climbing haul up the side of the mountain. I had to keep stopping and taking a rest, more so than usual. I think my legs were just so fatigued from the strenuous hike the day before. But I just kept repeating my mantra, and hiked at an incredibly slow, but comfortable pace. As I went up and up and up and up, it seemed like I was never going to get to the top of that ridge. Although it was sunny, the top of Giant was shrouded in a cloud, so I couldn’t see where the top was. I found myself getting irritated that the climb was never-ending and was getting nastier with mud and difficult rock slabs. Totally irrational, but I couldn’t seem to shake my foul attitude toward the mountain. Finally, I reached the junction with the Ridge trail that leads to Giant, and shortly was at the junction with the trail to Rocky Peak. I knew that the Giant summit was only a few minutes away, but I wasn’t going to do anything extraneous until I accomplished my primary mission. I had heard about the steep descent off of Giant toward Rocky Peak. Although it was a beautiful sunny fall-like day, and I had just successfully ascended 3000 feet, I didn’t feel very happy yet. For some reason, that upcoming descent and inevitable re-ascent was irritating me, again totally irrational. I felt like I had a scowl on my face.

As it turned out, the descent into the col wasn’t that bad, and the hike up to Rocky Peak was pleasant. When I reached Rocky Peak, it was like magic. I climbed up onto the rocky top, and had the whole place to myself the entire time I was there. There was this huge cairn right in the middle of the summit. It was sunny, but there was a wall of fog enclosing the summit. Although there were no views, it was still kind of cool looking, like being on another planet. I took a few pictures of myself in front of the cairn, and found a rock formation that was kind of like a natural lounge chair, and laid back and had a snack. From that moment on, the irritation was gone. Summit magic. I made it to Rocky Peak.

The trip back was a piece of cake. The ascent of Giant from the Rocky Peak col didn’t seem tough at all. I then took the 5 minute trip to the Giant summit (how could I pass it by when it was THAT close?) There were some nice views of the valley and surrounding ridge, but still had those low clouds obscuring other views. Lots of people up there lounging around on the rocks. Where did all these people come from? I sure didn’t see them on the trail. Must have come up the other way. I enjoyed the views for a few minutes and then headed down.

I made it back to the car, 8 hours after I left it, and was SO HAPPY! I hiked two beautiful mountains under less than ideal physical and mental conditions, accomplishing a goal that seemed ridiculous at the start of the day. Now I can hike Sawteeth (my 46th peak) on 9/11/04 (which also happens to be my 46th birthday)!

Last edited:
Way to go! I remember thinking back in July when you and Carol were talking about finishing that it was pretty ambitious. Well done, and early congrats for Saturday! I'll be hobbling up Monroe and Washington to remember 9/11. I'll smile when I think of you on Sawteeth :) Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!!!

Way to go Lyle. The phrase "girls kick butt" certainly ruled last weekend. I was rooting for you all the way on my long drive home on Sunday. Now, only one more. The 46 before/on 46. I think I'll get us tee shirts made up! I wish I could be with you on saturday. Maybe I can strong arm someone into making the drive with me......

Congrats, on Rocky Peak and Giant

Great job, Crazy Mama!
I still remember the day that we did a traverse of Rocky Peak Ridge up to Giant and then came out down near Chapel Pond. It was my day off from Hike Leading at August Camp and a small group of us had the neatest day.

The ridge had all kinds of wildflowers blooming, including gentians.
I thought that it was one of the best hikes in the 46'ers that I had done at that point.

I would go back and do it again.
:) :D