What's the best 10-pt crampon?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
For Adirondack peakbagging, that is. No intentions whatsoever of doing climbing.

Have MSR Lighting Ascents for snow & MicroSpikes for light ice, but am worried about water ice, boilerplate ice, whatever other types of ice might be too much for MS.

I have three different pair of crampons. My first pair are not used since they have a non flex bar and I have boots that flex. I use and like Grivel G10's. They have have a flex bar and work very well with my boots. They are terriffic for anything but ice wall climbing. Recently I purchased Kahtoola steel point crampons. They are easy to put on (one buckle). The points are shorter than traditional crampons and the front points are sloped down instead of forward. They bite well in ice but because of their shorter points they are better for mixed routes of ice and rocks. When walking you tend not to catch the points. They are also lighter and pack up smaller. I use to carry crampons and micro spikes. Now I just carry the Kahtoola steel point crampons.

I also have a pair of Grivel G10's. I've had them for probably 15 years, but they haven't seen a ton of use. They work great as far as I'm concerned. When they get too dull, I'll just take a file to them to sharpen them up.
I wear them on Cabela Snow Runners, which are pretty flexible, and have no problems. The G10's are a good dependable hiking crampon, but there are probably more modern day ones which are lighter.

Petch

I've been using the same pair of Grivel G10's for a little over 10 years. Very reliable, easy to use, and good for those steeper, dicier stretches where snowshoe points don't do it. I use them on Koflack Arctic Expes (plastic double boots) most of the time but they're fine on more flexible boots. Only tend to need them a few times a year in the Whites. Can't compare them to anything else since they're all I've ever had...the comments in the previous two posts about them are right on...

Same here. I have a set of G10's and have been very satisfied with them. Being steel I can hit them with a file to clean them up and they stay sharp for a pretty long time. I actually use them on some leather winter mountaineering boots and they work fine for me.

Keith

G-10's may be a bit hard to find, but suggest Googling them, and also check eBay.

The reason they're hard to find is that Grivel doesn't do its own distributing - it had an arrangment with a company called Grivel North America which ceased operations in 2008. Until they either become their own distributor, obtain a new one, their products may be a bit hard to find in North America.

A friend found a pair earlier in the year at Moosejaw. You might also call ClimbHigh in Shelburne. They were a distributor until bought by Mammut about 5 or 6 years ago. I know that had a stash of them in their warehouse. Apparently they weren't allowed to advertise them, but if you knew enough to ask ...

Last edited:
Another vote for the Grivel G-10. If your boots will accept a heel lever the New Matic style binding is the way to go.

You can get Grivel from "The Mountaineer" in Keene Valley NY.

http://mountaineer.com

For Adirondack peakbagging, that is. No intentions whatsoever of doing climbing.

Have MSR Lighting Ascents for snow & MicroSpikes for light ice, but am worried about water ice, boilerplate ice, whatever other types of ice might be too much for MS.

I'm surprised nobody has said something like "Fight with what brung Ya, Laddy !" The Lighting Ascents & MicroSpikes should handle 99% of what you'd encounter. The other 1% can probably be bypassed/avoided.

Also surprised this thread doesn't mention the Hillsound and Mil Spec short point crampons (very flexible, go on any shoe or boot). Also did not see the BD Contact Strap and other similar crampons which do not require a hard boot and do not have a heel lever.

The only time I wear "hard boot" crampons with a heel lever is on technical ice. Way overkill for walking; I find I am more likely to trip with those, even being careful.

BD Contact strap works good on multiple boots, and you can usually find them on sale somewhere...

... Also did not see the BD Contact Strap and other similar crampons which do not require a hard boot and do not have a heel lever.

The only time I wear "hard boot" crampons with a heel lever is on technical ice. Way overkill for walking; I find I am more likely to trip with those, even being careful.

The G10 comes in 4 configurations - points are the same but attach differently to the boot. The most commonly sold model is nearly identical to BD's Contact Strap in that regard.

The big difference between the two is the length and sharpness of the point. Each model has it's pro's and con's.

Another vote for the Grivel G-10. Mine are about 10 years old (no plates).

I also have a pair of G-12s (for Koflachs) but I find myself just packing the G-10s for convenience.

BD Contact strap works good on multiple boots, and you can usually find them on sale somewhere...

I can't compare them to the Grivels, as I've never used the Grivels, but I also have a pair of the Black Diamond Contact Strap crampons and have been very satisfied with them.