insulated cozy for taller Camelbak bottles ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that's it's pretty steep compared to the $12 or whatever of the old EMS ones.

You could always make your own! Hobbitling made a pretty cool one! I think he used an old, insulated jacket.

The other thing I realized about nalgenes; if they do start to freeze over, they're easier to "hack" into to clear the ice than the narrow mouthed Camelbak 1 liter bottle would be. To heck with the BPA's !

Wool socks make nice insulators for all size bottles.

bottle cozy-- sew one

Chip--

It's easy to sew or have sewn an insulated sack, bottle size, and with a drawstring. If you work out the dimensions right the sack will double as an overmitt frost bite preventer. I sewed mine from silnylon for the shell, primaloft insulation (because it has least water retention, others will work), and Pertex R3 lining, weight no more than an ounce. There's no "thumb", just use a stuff sac configuration.

Walt

The other thing I realized about nalgenes; if they do start to freeze over, they're easier to "hack" into to clear the ice than the narrow mouthed Camelbak 1 liter bottle would be. To heck with the BPA's !
The HDPE Nalgene wide-mouth bottles are the same dimensions as the polycarbonate bottles, have no BPA, and are cheaper too! http://www.rei.com/search?query=nalgene+hdpe&button.x=0&button.y=0

Sometimes the older stuff is better...

Doug

Wool socks make nice insulators for all size bottles.
It's easy to sew or have sewn an insulated sack, bottle size, and with a drawstring. If you work out the dimensions right the sack will double as an overmitt frost bite preventer. I sewed mine from silnylon for the shell, primaloft insulation (because it has least water retention, others will work), and Pertex R3 lining, weight no more than an ounce. There's no "thumb", just use a stuff sac configuration.
I have used a wool sock and a small (outer) stuff sack as a bottle insulator and it worked quite well. Note that a new sock works better than an old worn sock...

Doug

Nalgene is making their traditional hard-plastic 1L bottles BPA-free now. SWMBO got me one for Christmas -- because the kids lost one of my old Nalgenes, not because she was particularly worried about me being poisoned.

(Heck, if that were the case, she'd have to stop using arsenic as a "condiment" in my dinners! :eek:)

Nalgene is making their traditional hard-plastic 1L bottles BPA-free now. SWMBO got me one for Christmas -- because the kids lost one of my old Nalgenes, not because she was particularly worried about me being poisoned.

(Heck, if that were the case, she'd have to stop using arsenic as a "condiment" in my dinners! :eek:)

Yea, any new Nalgene's won't have BPA in them.

Plus, the BPA is mainly a problem only when boiling water is added. So if you're just using the bottles for winter use, you should be totally fine!

Plus, the BPA is mainly a problem only when boiling water is added. So if you're just using the bottles for winter use, you should be totally fine!

Except when I add boiled water to them in the winter. ;)

I now have 4 or 5 bpa nalgenes and 3 or 4 bpa-free camelbaks. I'm not looking for any more water bottles. If there were $10 insulated cozies for the camelbaks, I'd buy a couple. If not, I'm pretty sure a moose or tree will get me before the bpa does.

Perhaps I will sew. :cool:

Except when I add boiled water to them in the winter. ;)

I now have 4 or 5 bpa nalgenes and 3 or 4 bpa-free camelbaks. I'm not looking for any more water bottles. If there were $10 insulated cozies for the camelbaks, I'd buy a couple. If not, I'm pretty sure a moose or tree will get me before the bpa does.

Perhaps I will sew. :cool:

Touche salesman!

Well, I hope whatever system you choose provides you with full hydration opportunities! :)

Chip--

Walt
for insulation I have used "Sill Sealer" a polyethylene foam about 3/16" thick, that is placed underneath an external wall by a home builder. I have a bunch of it left over, from when I built my workshop.

erugs, that's an excellent idea...that's the kind of Yankee Ingenuity I was looking for !

Heck, I could probably slip on 2 and take one off if I was feeling really wild ! :D ;)

yes those would. those are them that adk88 linked to, but on sale. still a tad rich for a couple of cozys. If I buy 3 I get free shipping.

I'm running with erugs on this one, me thinks.

Sill Sealer

Paradox--

Sill Sealer sounds like a good thing. Is the foam rigid or maybe semi-rigid, and I guess closed-cell? Is it a Home Depot or Lowe's sort of item? The only trouble with fiber insulation is that it does get beat up by the bottle after a while.

Thanks,
Walt

for insulation I have used "Sill Sealer" a polyethylene foam about 3/16" thick, that is placed underneath an external wall by a home builder. I have a bunch of it left over, from when I built my workshop.