What happened to Bergelene?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARMER

Reaction score
I have a long sleeve made from this magical composition of plastics. I can wear it multiple days running, working and then out for dinner with a certain ladyfriend and it just won't get smelly. :D Why was it replaced by it's nipple chafing smelly cousin Techwick?

No such fabric itself as Bergelene. It was the EMS store label/brand for whatever fleece they decided to contract a manufacturer for that year. One year , it was Polartec Powerdry, another year a different manufacturer.

Capilene (Patagonia) is where it's at... Expensive, but can be found on sale - like those currently being featured @ Ragged Mountain. Amazing performance, no residual smell, and did I say amazing sweat wicking-keeps you warm and dry almost as well as wool-greatness?

Capilene (Patagonia) is where it's at... Expensive, but can be found on sale - like those currently being featured @ Ragged Mountain. Amazing performance, no residual smell, and did I say amazing sweat wicking-keeps you warm and dry almost as well as wool-greatness?
Or maybe wool is even better...

See http://www.conovers.org/ftp/NOTEBOOK/CLOTHING.TXT for a comparison of wet insulations.

Summary: Wool > Pile > Naked > Cotton
(where ">" means "is better than")
Capilene, pile, and fleece are all polyester fabrics.

Doug

Last edited:
I have some Bergelene pieces that are approaching 10 years old. Still holding up (knock-on-wood). Really is pretty comfy.

Bergelene was renamed/replaced by Techwick about 5 or 6 years ago. There was a transition period where you could find both names in an EMS store, but now it's solely Techwick.

I'm so grateful that I have the ability to tap into the wealth of knowledge present here on my beloved VFTT. Especially now that I am resting up from a nasty ankle sprain I got on the Crawford path. Damn postholers

Whoops!

Especially now that I am resting up from a nasty ankle sprain I got on the Crawford path. Damn postholers

So what do you call it when a thread threatens to get hijacked by the very guy who started the thread in the first place?

But back to fabrics and chaffed nipples: The number of dedicated readers of VFTT makes me think that when it comes to outdoor products in the N.E. U.S.A., we represent a not insignificant consumer block. Anyone here work for EMS and would be willing to convey our discontent over fabric choice to the "powers that be"?

- Monadnock Volunteer (aka Steve)

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about your ankle.