boot repair - urgent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
I'm headed for a 5 day Dacks trip next week, (name-your-hurricane) permitting.
Full (I mean full) packing and day hiking about 11-12 miles each.

My leather Vasques have been awesome the last few years. But I noticed that the upper and sole are starting to separate just above my toes.

1) What is the best adhesive to seal the gap, and

2)how likely is it to hold together through such a trip (yes, I'll bring extra along, tho I expect mud) ?

Moonrock

Since you have a week, why not let a professional fix it? Yahoo yellow pages lists eleven shoe repair shops in your home town.

Steve

"Yahoo yellow pages lists eleven shoe repair shops in your home town. "

Thanks, but I won't be heading through Watertown NY between now and then
:D

Seriously, I thought 3-4 days would be too quick to turn around (plus, I'm dirt cheap), but yeah, it's worth a call or two.

But, otherwise, what works best for emergencies ?

MR

I am a big fan of Shoe Goo... You can find it at just about any shoe store I think, but if not try a shoe store geared towards running shoes. I use that stuff for anything. A little dab fixed a leak in my windshield for two years.

Maybe too late for your schedule unless you can do with a temporary repair. Vasque or your dealer can usually suggest a Vasque approved repair shop. I sent a pair of Sundowners to one outside NYC to be resoled and was happy with the service and the job. They maintained the watertight integrity of the boot and the new sole restored the traction.

Shoe goo is holding more of my possesions together than I want to admit! The only problem with shoes is that it dosen't stick well to weather proofed leather (wax or silicone). Shouldn't be a problem with the repair you describe. Be sure to clamp or wrap tightly with tape until dry, usually 12-15 hours.

Good luck!

A nearby outdoor store (Great Outdoor Provision) which sells Vasque and does in-house repairs, sold me Barge Cement. They described the process similarly (they also sell Shoe-goo).

If Barge fails - and I make it back - I'll try Shoe-goo. Or contact Vasque: A hiking buddy said they resoled his Sundowners for free, and threw in new laces.

What color Duct tape ?

Thanks, One and All
MR