"Leave the Snow Shoes in the Car"???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Friday as we climbed the Mast Road on our way to Wonalancet we encountered the most terrible ankle- twisting- three foot deep postholes.
Someone should have a talk with that moose !!

Last Friday as we climbed the Mast Road on our way to Wonalancet we encountered the most terrible ankle- twisting- three foot deep postholes.
Someone should have a talk with that moose !!

What about crossing a snowshoe hare with a moose?

Thanks for sticking up for us Massachusetts "tourists"! I'm mostly a summer tourist with only 26 years experience doing it and more than 100 trips under my belt. But apparently I have a lot to learn as I don't believe it necessary to wear snowshoes 100% of the time.

Hey at least we're not from Rhode Island!

I have complete faith that our community will rise to the challenge if the opportunity should arise.
Hahaha!

You could sub in humanity for "our community".

(Who said, "I love humanity, it's people I can't stand.")

I have yet to see a thread on my personal bugaboo, namely yellow snow. C’mon how hard is it to kick a little snow after you finish?

Pee lying face down in the snow. Even easier. Either that or make sure you are so well hydrated that there is no colour. (Colour is correctly spelled with a u)

Last edited:
I rarely see people carrying snow shoes on the Lions Head route - it's pretty much the norm unless it's really deep, and it attracts more climber types and less peak-baggers ( the climber types hate carrying snowshoes) I have worn/carried snowshoes one time ( maybe two) in that trail in over 20 years.

(Just to note that this particular trail isn't a particularly good barometer of snowshoe etiquette or necessity.)

Nor do I see snowshoes often on the Tucks Trail to HoJo's (assuming that this trail is not already mentioned in an earlier post). :D

Pee lying face down in the snow. Even easier. Either that or make sure you are so well hydrated that there is no colour. (Colour is correctly spelled with a u)

I started to follow this Trail a few Daze Ago.....but it's all in Google Cache now:)

I often have my snowshoes on my back while ascending a broken popular trail, and I hate it! I'll wear my 36" Tubbs on a hard-packed trail if I possibly can because I like the traction and I don't like them on my back. The slightest slip of the toe drains energy. I wear shoes on Tuckerman Ravine Trail.

If a trail is broken out with the little MSR type shoes, then only those shoes fit into the track. So it's microspikes for the climb and then off-trailing for the way down on snowshoes that float on deep snow.
I have some 13x28 Army surplus bearpaws which I used for most of my first round of the winter NH then-46. Great for breaking trail uphill in deep snow, not so good breaking downhill as the flat toes tend to dig in causing face plants and somersaults. I haven't worn them in years as most steep trails are broken far too narrow for them and the wide flat trails don't need that much flotation.

If you have 10x36 Green Mountain bearpaws (once the most common size on AMC hikes), they aren't bad for snowshoeing but are a giant pain to carry. The weight is only a minor part of the story, but imagine tying them crosswise on the top of your pack - fine for the Wilderness Trail but on a typical trail they will brush on overhanging tree branches pulling you off balance and dumping snow down your neck. If you mount them vertically high on your pack they have the same problem while lower down they may swing into the back of your leg. In the wind above treeline they act like a sail - annoying and perhaps even dangerous. So it's hardly a surprise that owners of such snowshoes might choose to leave them in the car if they think they'll carry them all day.

But with the smaller size of snowshoes popular today, there's much less excuse not to bring them. My two smallest pairs of snowshoes will tie easily on a pack and will even fit inside the pack I usually carry in winter (ultimate anti-snag location). Sure, people trying to set speed records need to save every ounce and it's a pain for those who don't own snowshoes to rent something they don't expect to use, but it's hard to see why so many people still leave snowshoes in the car for thieves to get :)

Just to be clear, I don't insult people using MSRs. Yes, they render the trail impossible for snowshoes that handle real snow, but I accept reality and deal with it and just carry my shoes while on trail. If MSRs are popular I accept that. They are popular for a reason.

However, it seams that some use the MSRs, rendering the trail impossible for my shoes, then insult me for not wearing my shoes. Get it?

Luckily, the WMNF is in NH, where laws against barebooting or MSRs will never happen.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Been there, done that.

What about crossing a snowshoe hare with a moose?

Puh-lease.

jackalope.jpg