Gray-Skylight-Marcy 3-6-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Plans for this trip where set back about a month Prior when Procook and Adirobdack46r and Myself where on a trip to Redfeild and Cliff. Meet this time early am, 4 to be exact. Waited for others to show and by 4:20am we left. Morning was crisp but on the warmer side of the trips We have done this year. Again we headed over to Lake Arnold and up Feldspar to 4 corners to tag skylight and Gray for Dave and my List. This puts Dave up to 41 I think and me to 45 for summer round.
Reclimbing to Feldspar was same old early morning hike we had done Prior. Headed up to 4 corners proved to be much more vertical. All of us but Robert had not been this way ever. About ¾ the way thru Dave walks up with few guys, turns out to be Cory D. and Glen(MG). They give us some valuable info about the area and they are off to Hit skylight and bushwhack to Allen to catch 1Adam12 and his group. For us its business now.
Headed up Gray first. Finding the HP blown in at the start but then it was opened and well defined after. Soon we find a steep wall to climb that has some difficult to it with Ice. Up and over that and it was smooth sailing to the top Which offered 360 degree views amounst deep snow that was well packed. Such beauty of the surrounding area as you can pick out dozens of Peaks on the Blue Bird day with warmer Breezes. No need today for a shell, YET!  After pics and high Fives we descend to the sunny hill side for a break, Food and liquids. Sitting there infusing all its beauty down from Gray comes a man, making me think, Hmm, He must have come from Marcy. Joe Cedar it is. Chi Chat and Joe offers the same info as Cory and MG, the climb over Marcy is not much more than backtracking over Lake Arnold. Something again for us to Mull over. Joes plan where to hit skylight then back over Marcy and possibly Phelps and/or Tabletop, which he’ll figure out when he gets there, Go gett’em Joe!!
Packed up and descending to Lake tear. Over Lake tear and up skylight. Joe is on his way back down and we all reach the Sun baked summit with stiffer breeze than Gray but still not in need of a shell for too long, but I did put it on for 5minutes. Here we celebrate with the Planting of the Flags. Warm feelings are running thru me as now I’m a 45er… Past thoughts of this whole journey and with these views one never wants it to end. Wishing it was a warmer summer day just to sit and enjoy, but is not. Today our Goals have been meet. Now the talk is our return direction??? Back down to 4 corners and break for more food and drinks we decide it’s up and over Marcy, Go big or Go home. I guess one cant waste the opportunity for such great weather day or to bag another winter peak and my final plus is that one and only time I was on Marcy I could see 10 feet in front of myself, Payback Time for the Mountains.
The intimidating climb up the backside of Marcy was majestic once out of tree line. Had to put on the goggles to cut the glare from the sun as I was starting to get a headache from it, real tough huh..  Robert Leading the way while Dave and I follow. Robert is pulling away but we are sorta dragging as we just can’t give up the time being spent with this Hill. Ran into Guy named Phil who myself and Robert meet new years Eve on our Non-summit trip to Redfeild and cliff. Today he had a summit to as he never made it to Marcy that weekend Due to visibility problems. Very nice talk with him left Dave and me looking at Robert almost to the summit. Now it’s our turn and up we go. Such beauty gives itself to my eyes of surround peaks, Panther Gorge and the skies craftsmanship of cloud making. Finally summit Marcy and this is where that Shell came in handy. Just below the summit the winds had vanished but yet I knew once I popped up there would be back . Shell on and yes, summit # 3 for 2 summer rounds and 3 winters. YES!! Talked with a couple that where there. This guy took his wife here on her first winter trip. Views to kill along with ripping winds get us to descend to a clearing with the view of Marcy to bake in the sun while refueling. Such a great day. All that is left is the decent to the LOJ which was just clock work. Back at 4:30pm, 12 hours, 2 summer and 3 winter peaks, can’t get any better than that folks.
Now its time to plan the final scene…

Pictures