Best After Hike Meals in High Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone's favourite places to go eat after a big hike are.

My personal favorites are the burger at Down the Hill Grill in Lake Placid, pizza at Little Italy in Saranac Lake, and a pulled pork sandwich from Tale of the Pup also in Saranac Lake.

I'm always on the lookout for cool places to have a great meal apres hike. Gives me something to dream about during those last few miles.

S

spaddock said:
I was just wondering what everyone's favourite places to go eat after a big hike are.

My personal favorites are the burger at Down the Hill Grill in Lake Placid, pizza at Little Italy in Saranac Lake, and a pulled pork sandwich from Tale of the Pup also in Saranac Lake.

I'm always on the lookout for cool places to have a great meal apres hike. Gives me something to dream about during those last few miles.

S

The Lake Placid Brewery is a good place. As is the Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley.

A great (new) restaurant in Lake Placid is Freestyle. Right on Main Street. But you might want to shower before going there after a hike.

Eric and I stopped at a small family dinner in Brattleboro called Bickman's on the way back from the Pemis, I had a very nice breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, pancakes and sausage. It's right off I-91 on Rt 9E on the rotary there...

[edit - Oops, didn't realize we're talking the ADKs here... I've only eatan out once when I was in the ADKs, and it was somewhere in Lake Placid but was fairly forgettable.

Jay

AlpineSummit said:
...Noonmark? UGH, ordinary at best. They're for sale tho: a million smackers! Can ya believe it? $1,000,000 That's a lot of slices to pie to sell before turning a profit.
$1,000,000 for the Noonmark? Wow! Can't imagine that you could make the mortgage payment, even at their inflated prices... Unless there's some serious acreage included, that just doesn't make sense.
Anyway, I've got to go with the L P Brew Pub. In the winter they serve a mean Shepard's Pie, and the beer is always excellent.

If you're heading down south on I-87 anyway, stop in Schroon Lake and go to Pitkin's. Great food, generous portions. Goooooood gravy...

I went to the Ausable Inn for their burger after hiking the Dix range. It was pretty good, not as good as Down the Hill grill in Lake Placid.

It might have been because i forgot to order cheese and i asked for it well done and it came really well done.

The waitress was really nice though and she thought it was a pretty cool idea when I asked to have an Onion ring on top of the burger. At Down the Hill Grill they called it a "Freak" burger when I ordered it that way... :)

The place had a nice feel to it and there was a funny crowd chatting on the bar. Any food is great food after a 5 peak day!

S.

if you are headed south (down I-87) if you can wait till exit 13N try p.j.'s barbeque just south of saratoga - get off at 13N and head north on route 9 for 1-2 miles it is on the right side of rte. 9 - between 6-9pm saturdays they have a dee-jay playing 50's music they close at 9pm.

Noonmark has gone a little downhill in the last two years, but still OK. Cliffhanger (also for sale) is good for breakfast; after a hike it's good if you can live on falafel.

Try Tip a Canoe (open for about 2 years now) in Keene. Also very good is Baxter Mountain Tavern at the top of the hill between Keene and Etown. Under new ownership (it used to be the Spruce Hill Inn), the food and service are excellent.

TCD

I stayed in the Adirondack Loj with my wife and the in-laws for a couple nights last year. The wife and I did Marcy and got back to the Loj just in time for dinner. They knew I was vegetarian and had a fantastic tofu stir-fry waiting for me.

Pizza, however, really is the ultimate post-hike food. Especially if you have been eating nothing but freeze dried stuff and power bars for a few days. To me it doesn't matter where it is from - there is no such thing as bad pizza.

Had a great sandwich and an ale at the Baxter Mt. Tavern after recently hiking Owl's Head Lookout. The Black Bear Inn is good for lunch too. Sorry, but IMHO, after a long day hike, there is nothing like your homemade tomato and meat sauce over pasta, sipping red wine while all is cooking in a cozy kitchen in your rented housekeeping cottage!

Post hike dining perfection . . .

One evening a few years ago, after completing a hike during which my daughter Prima Donna Grumpy claimed her first two Adirondack High Peaks, she and I set up our portable gas grill at Mounument Pool along the Ausable River between Lake Placid and Wilmington, and cooked and ate hot dogs and drank beer.

A candidate for the most perfect post-hike supper I’ve ever enjoyed.

Do you suppose the perfection was a matter of the food? Or the location? Or the company? Or the occasion?

(My own guess it was a mix of all that)

G.

Definitely a mix of it all. Not too mention post hike a lot of food will taste awesome.

Not a bad idea... apres hike setup a grill at the side of the road.... could even sell a few dogs and burgers to people like me wanting to hammer home but grab some good eats.

S.

recent addition to the list

Little Italy in Saranac Lake - liked the pizza a lot, also good pepperoni bread and garlic knots. Great views on the way to Saranac from the Seward range. The Hot spot in Saranac on a Saturday nite!