A New Winter 4K Record!?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
No, this won’t even come close to the record that was just broken, time wise, and I don’t want to take even the slightest away from that journey that Mats, Jason & Ryan just had, but......................
This may be a record that may take a while to top. If someone already has this record beat from yester-year, please accept my sincere apologies and I’ll give Jerry the bad news. But I know him, and he’ll just smile & say something nice about them. This was more of a personal goal for him.

A couple of years ago I got a call from Jerry Horne. We met breaking trail on the way to Isolation a few years ago after a storm dumped 2 to 4 feet in that area. His son Steve & friend Dave were with him. That was the beginning of a great friendship both on & off the trails.

I got a call before the winter season even started that year and he told me he was turning 75 on January 17th of 2008 and wanted to complete the Winter 48 one more time after he turns 75. (Both me & his son said, “Yah right, we’ll be hearing this again in 5 more years”) No idea how many times he’s done them.

So, I’m wrestling with turning 25 years old for a second time and he’s about to do it for a third time??.................(stop your whining Tom, I thought) ......and he’s still going strong!! What an inspiration.
Besides that, Jerry is a pleasure to be with PERIOD. It’s great to have someone with years of wisdom in the mountains. And hear all the stories. But, close your eyes to this one......he wears Cotton Pants. Now that’s almost illegal Jerry, shame on you.

Well, at approximately 2:30 PM on Sat. March 6th on the Very Windy summit of Mt. Madison at age 77 he did it! This was after a visit to Mt. Adams via the Craig Camp Route for # 47.

The day was beyond spectacular as the area got nailed with snow the week before. We actually got to see 3 downhill skiers coming down the cone of Mt Madison as we approached the Hut. A first, for all of our eyes. What a day to be up there!! The wind kept on increasing from Adams and doubt started building as we saw others retreating due to the wind. I remember thinking, but not actually saying to Jerry that we were going, even if we had to crawl on our hands & knees to get there. I just know that good weather can be hard to come by, when you’re trying to finish up a list. And besides, there were some that did make it.
As we headed up, the wind was really howling now, and I remember stopping to brace my self from a gust and had to pray & ask for a clear head and not look at the circumstances. Then I headed for the “Left” side of the cone, so the wind would blow us into the mountain. With all that snow, you could pretty much pick your route.
A couple of times I thought, no way can I get the camera out, the wind will rip it out of my hand, but...I couldn’t resist to get some more shots off. (I remember hearing something about a snowshoe being blown away).....??
Oh well. Victory was very short, but still sweet to see him reach this goal.

2 of his friends Bob & John, did climb to the hut that day to greet him but their champagne had to wait for the lot, as they were getting cold. Only missed him by about 20 minutes we guessed. But they both hiked in a little to greet him as he was coming out.

I can only say “Thank You Jerry for allowing me to be a part of your life and this recent journey.”

CONGRATULATIONS!

What’s next?

Congratulations Jerry! And just so everyone will recognize you in the future and extend a handshake, here's a picture of Jerry back in January 2010 on the Rocky Branch trail going up to Isolation. Great job Jerry!

IMG_0694.JPG

I remember Jerry from hiking Isolation this winter and spoke to him about the sherpa snowshoes. Those were my first pair and I myself still wear them now and then! Congrats Jerry and I hope to be doing the same as you when I get to be your age!

congratulations Jerry

Had the pleasure of crossing paths and saying hello a couple of times this winter..Trys and Moriah...

keep on walkin as you never know what might be catching up on you

very cool accomplishment

Jerry,

Congratulations! I had the pleasure of shaking your hand on the Rocky Branch Trail in January, when you were there with Tom and your Son. Again great job.

Bob

Congrats Jerry! We got a later than expected start so never caught up with you, but were sending you good wishes from Jefferson at the time you were on Adams. What a inspiration you are!

Congratulations Jerry. Our paths crossed a few times this winter and it was a complete pleasure to meet you. I believe the last time I saw you was over lunch on the front porch at the Galehead Hut. As I recall you were relaxing in the sun enjoying the terrific day we all had.

You're quite an inspiration.

Earl

Congratulations, Jerry! Record or not, that's a damn solid accomplishment. I hope to cross paths with you on the trails sometime.
-vegematic

Congrats!

Jerry, you probably don't recall the folks with a little black dog you shared the summit of Isolation with this January, but we've been pulling for you to finish since that day! Great job! I'm having such a struggle just getting through the list ONCE, and I'm a good deal younger. You are a true inspiration!

KDT

That is quite a feat.

I personally don't know of anybody else who has done them all after 75 - I know few enough who've done any!