Equinox Peakbagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrim

Reaction score
This has been my best peakbagging winter. I'd like to get one more. My next (and last) opportunity to bag a winter 4000-footer this season will be on Saturday, March 20. I need to be done by 1:32 PM. Sunrise is at 6:50 AM. The candidates are:

Cannon
Flume
Hancocks
Kinsmans
Lafayette
Lincoln
Passaconaway
Tecumseh

I'm interested in suggestions or comments from all.

spring starts on 3/20 correct?

doesn't that mean you would need to be done BEFORE sunrise on 3/20? Meaning do the hike on the 19th? I'm not quite sure of the guidelines here...

da rules

this was forwarded to me...thought I'd share...-michael

Q. What determines a winter ascent?

A. It is not simply a matter of dates on your household calendar (e.g. Dec 21st to March 20th). The criteria established by Miriam Underhill, the inventor of the Winter Four-Thousand-Footer Game is more exact: trips must begin after the hour and minute of the beginning of winter (winter solstice), and end before the hour and minute of the end of winter (spring equinox). In the US edition of her book, Give me the Hills, Miriam Underhill is even more specific, as she writes:

This game was an offshoot, of course, of that very popular game of the Appalachian Mountain Club, Climbing the Four-thousanders, which was set in motion, and such vigorous and enthusiastic motion, in 1958. Our game —"ours" because we were the first to play it— followed right along. As the initiators we set the rules, which concerned the definition of "winter". "Snow on the ground" and other namby-pamby criteria definitely did not count. "Winter" was to be measured exclusively by the calendar. In 1960, for instance, winter began at 3:27 PM on Wednesday, December 21, too late to get up to Crag Camp by daylight.

doesn't that mean you would need to be done BEFORE sunrise on 3/20? Meaning do the hike on the 19th? I'm not quite sure of the guidelines here...
You need to return to the trailhead by the equinox in order for it to count. Next year we will have until 11:21 pm on 3/20/2011. No naked hiking is allowed on equinox day.

Last edited:
ahhh, I see....

You need to return to the trailhead by the equinox in order for it to count. Next year we will have until 11:21 pm on 3/20/10. No naked hiking is allowed on equinox day.

Bummer about the no-naked hiking rule, though. Pun intended. ; )

If it was me, I'd probably leave as early as possible, bag the Kinsmans, decide to try for Cannon as well, miss the 1:30 cut-off, and wind up with nothing except the exercise and a few pics. :eek: