Mt Adams 50th Anniversary (of sorts)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHiker

Reaction score
I had an interesting conversation with a couple from England yesterday afternoon in the Appalachia parking lot. I hope it's not going to lead to SAR tomorrow.

We were waiting for friends to return from Mt Madison when they pulled into the lot and got out and started wandering around. They were dressed in a mixture of street clothes and hiking clothes (or at least what I'd consider typical of those styles, whatever), the woman carrying a large purse. They climbed the plowbank, disappeared and then reappeared a minute later with a paper from the little information thingie on the billboard. By now my curiousity got the better of me.

"Are you folks lost?"

They said they were looking information for Mt Adams. Because of their accents I asked if they were from out of town. They said they'd come all the way from England to climb Mt Adams. When I asked why, they said because it is "a holy mountain". Further, Monday is the 50th anniversary of it becoming holy. They asked me if I was familiar with Mt Adams. I said yeah I've climbed it a few times, including a week ago. Then they asked how to get up it and how far it was. I said it was around 4.5 miles, to which the guy said "oh about 2 hours then?". Uhh, maybe for a few people but not for most. I explained the difference between Valley Way and Airline and suggested they buy a map somewhere. I then wished them good weather for Monday inspite of the forecast, to which the man replied, "doesn't matter, we're going anyway."

Now they seemed nice enough, but I'm not sure I was able to impress upon them what they were getting themselves into. Apparently Mt Baldy in the Los Angeles area is another "holy mountain" and they've climbed that one. I don't know anything about Mt Baldy and so have no basis for comparison personally but I have to believe that a summer hike up that and a winter hike up Adams are orders of magnitude different, especially since there's a chair lift on one and not the other.

I checked out the Aetherius website and indeed there is a pilgrimage scheduled for Monday. I am not passing judgement on anyone's religious beliefs. I just thought it was worth sharing in case anyone happens to be in the Mt Adams area. There may be several people more people heading up there and they might not be too prepared. Of course I could be completely wrong too.

It's New Hampshire, land of "Live Free or Die."

Stay out of others' business.;)

G.

I think I had a religous experience on Mt Adams last week. Just before summiting I felt like I was gonna die but once on the summit I was reborn and had the energy of a 20 year old. (truth is, that describes most of my high summit hikes :p)

Holy Three Dog Night

This is a meeting of the Great White Brotherhood of Ascended Masters of Earth and they have The Three-fold Flame within the heart of Shamballa.

Apparently Mt Baldy in the Los Angeles area is another "holy mountain" and they've climbed that one. I don't know anything about Mt Baldy and so have no basis for comparison personally but I have to believe that a summer hike up that and a winter hike up Adams are orders of magnitude different, especially since there's a chair lift on one and not the other.

Steve -

I'm familiar with Mt Baldy - in fact I did it again yesterday using the route often taken in winter - Manker Flats/Ski Hut/Summit. In winter it's one of the safer climbs in that it typically gets huge amounts of snow (at least by NE standards) yet is so far south the snow consolidates in a few days, reducing AV danger. Using that route, it's about 8 miles RT, 4K+' elevation gain. So, in terms of total effort, it's about the same as Adams in NH if both are done in warm weather.

There is a ski area that's along the ridge, and although I've skied there, I've never hiked from it to the summit. I believe it would involve several miles of ridge walk, and probably 2-3K' of elevation. I think the trail along the ridge is called the "Devil's Backbone".

FWIW - Baldy's "real" name is Mt. San Antonio.

Kevin

Last edited: