Summer Hiking Goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always start out with the goal of not getting injured again. :)

After that I'm hoping to do two AT section hikes and a Presidential Traversal by the end of June. After that have to make new plans.

Complete the NE 4000 ftr list at BSP with a circum-K route.

Will be looking for advice soon.

Another fascinating area to explore is the northern Presidentials. I have written many trip reports about the more interesting ones, here are four from 2006, when I was really exploring the area:

I've been thinking about doing a day hike in the northern Prezzies, hitting all of the little-used trails, and trying to figure out a way to link them altogether so that I can hike ~15 miles, never get above 3000', and do as little backtracking/doubling up as possible. Visit the waterfalls and outlooks and little gems that I too often rush past in lieu the high summits.

I need to get out my map, but, then again, it'll be a few more months till all the snows melts anyway. :)

Help friends complete their Cat100s and NE111s.
Knock off a few more of the NEHH.
Complete Summer section of Catskills grid.
Redo some ADK100s with friends.
Keep hitting the ADK3ks.
Bunch of VT100s.
Lots of bicycle riding.
Dolomites.

Our goal, for Annie and me, is to finish up the NE111(115) this summer. Left to do (3/16/2010), 2 in the Catskills and 14 in Maine. :)

Maybe finally get the courage to do a solo night hike (if I get over my irrational fear of monsters).
Have you thought of doing your night hike in winter? Some advantages:
1) Snow reflects light better than dirt, may not even need flashlight
2) Fewer things to trip over, if on packed trail
3) Dark comes earlier, and longer
4) Monsters all in hibernation :)

Have you thought of doing your night hike in winter? Some advantages:
1) Snow reflects light better than dirt, may not even need flashlight
2) Fewer things to trip over, if on packed trail
3) Dark comes earlier, and longer
4) Monsters all in hibernation :)

Yes, I've thought about it. Just haven't worked up the courage yet. Am hoping by summer the yellow stripe on my back will have faded away...if it's still there, then perhaps it'll be gone by next winter, when I can take advantage of the benefits you've outlined above. :eek:

Our plans...

With my son, five VT 4ks Memorial Day weekend, 11 of 14 Maine 4ks during mid-July vacation week (except for the 3 in Baxter S.P.). We are basing out of Rangeley Lake Resort, has anyone stayed there? This will put us at NE112/115 and my brother-in-law and nephew at NE64/67. We will get to Baxter in 2011.

I also have unscheduled rematches with Cliff and Iroquois in the ADKs and a do-over of our NH#48 Carrigain since it was in the rain last year.

With my son, five VT 4ks Memorial Day weekend, 11 of 14 Maine 4ks during mid-July vacation week (except for the 3 in Baxter S.P.). We are basing out of Rangeley Lake Resort, has anyone stayed there? This will put us at NE112/115 and my brother-in-law and nephew at NE64/67. We will get to Baxter in 2011.

I also have unscheduled rematches with Cliff and Iroquois in the ADKs and a do-over of our NH#48 Carrigain since it was in the rain last year.

Pat and I rented a house on Mooselookmeguntic Lake for about 20 years, so we know the area well.
The best restaurant in town is Loon Lodge...not cheap, but wow! The maple balsamic salad dressing is worth the price of admission. Ask for a table by the window when making reservations and time your visit for sunset. Truly memorable.

Yes, I've thought about it. Just haven't worked up the courage yet. Am hoping by summer the yellow stripe on my back will have faded away...if it's still there, then perhaps it'll be gone by next winter, when I can take advantage of the benefits you've outlined above. :eek:

Maybe you could do a solo night hike WITH someone. Get someone to go with you, and have them start 10 (or 15 or 30) minutes after you. Meet up at a few pre-arranged spots, and then split up again. So it's kinda solo, but you've got some peace of mind the first time out. No need to jump in cold turkey.

Maybe you could do a solo night hike WITH someone. Get someone to go with you, and have them start 10 (or 15 or 30) minutes after you. Meet up at a few pre-arranged spots, and then split up again. So it's kinda solo, but you've got some peace of mind the first time out. No need to jump in cold turkey.

Excellent idea -- thanks. That I can do.

I'm hoping to spend as much time outside as possible (except on future business trips....)

With that, I plan to:

- Work on the Mt Adams firetower restoration with the ADKHP Foundation
- Climb Mauna Kea in May when my wife and I vacation in Kona
- Cranberry Lake 50....
- Get to at least half way on my ADK46
- Kayak Henderson Lake, hike to Indian Pass

I think that should keep me busy enough....hope to see as many of you out there as I can.

• Maine AT through the Rangeley-Stratton section to finish up those last ME 4Ks
  • AT through the Mahoosucs (never done it all in one trip before)

-vegematic

Let me know ifyou want some company on the R-S section of the A-T, I have the same section left. I am also planning to do the Mahoosics.

My list:

• 1) Finish the NE67 list (53/67 currently).
    2) Finish section hiking the Maine A-T.
    3) Hike the Mahoosic section of the A-T.
    4) Prep for and do at least one century ride on my fixed gear bicycle, maybe more.
    5) Bike all 56 miles of the Acadia Carriage trails on the fixed gear bike again.
    6) Spend more time in the woods on the new mountain bike (which I will be picking up soon).

Makes it hard since I have to work every other weekend, but that is what I'm shooting for.

My list:
Finish my 48
Run my first sprint-tri
Bag 10 more 4ks with my oldest daughter
Hope that my youngest wants to bag a few more as well
Backpacking with the best friend in the whole world
Carters/Wildcats Traverse from the North
To be truant as much as possible from work in order to spend more time in
the mountains :)

I have ambitious goals for this summer:

• Kiss 1/2 the women on VFTT
  • Kiss 1/2 the men on VFTT
Even though that's just two things (that's 100% of the people on VFTT, right?) there are a lot of complexities and details to work out. Hoping to complete by September. Look out!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Maybe finally get the courage to do a solo night hike (if I get over my irrational fear of monsters).

Get out there now, if you can -- nice snow highways, especially in the high peaks.

Less stuff to trip/stumble over in the dark...believe you me...nice not to have to look at one's feet all the time and just look at the trail ahead.

And, sometimes, switch off the headlamp to look at the stars.

I have ambitious goals for this summer:

• Kiss 1/2 the women on VFTT
  • Kiss 1/2 the men on VFTT
Even though that's just two things (that's 100% of the people on VFTT, right?) there are a lot of complexities and details to work out. Hoping to complete by September. Look out!

-Dr. Wu

egad!:eek:
Another hiking hazard to add to the list! Doesn't it just want to make you take up something else, like macrame ... :(

... or maybe I'm on the other 1/2 of the list :confused:

Anyway, here's my confirmed list to date with additional hiking and paddling to be planned on impulse:

Late May - a few days paddling on Cape Cod ... something old, something new, something on the deep blue.

Late June to early August - Selected paddles and hikes along Lewis & Clark Trail, Theodore Roosevelt NP, Yellowstone (Bunsen and Avalanche Peaks), Tetons (Garnet Canyon likely), Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef NPs, Pussy Cat Doll Lounge ... just making sure you're paying attention ... North Rim of Grand Canyon NP, and a few more destinations as we wander back through Idaho and Montana.

Late August - Lobster Lake and West Branch of the Penobscot R. in Maine.

September 17-19 - VFTT Gathering.

October - Annual fall Hooligan Hike with base camp at Flagstaff Lake Hut, Maine.

Anyway, here's my confirmed list to date with additional hiking and paddling to be planned on impulse:

Late May - a few days paddling on Cape Cod ... something old, something new, something on the deep blue.

Late June to early August - Selected paddles and hikes along Lewis & Clark Trail, Theodore Roosevelt NP, Yellowstone (Bunsen and Avalanche Peaks), Tetons (Garnet Canyon likely), Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef NPs, Pussy Cat Doll Lounge ... just making sure you're paying attention ... North Rim of Grand Canyon NP, and a few more destinations as we wander back through Idaho and Montana.

Late August - Lobster Lake and West Branch of the Penobscot R. in Maine.

September 17-19 - VFTT Gathering.

October - Annual fall Hooligan Hike with base camp at Flagstaff Lake Hut, Maine.
Lot's of chances to catch up with you this year, Stan....

-Dr. Wu