Baxter State Park - Day use Parking Permits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Contrary to the written notices handed out last year that day use parking permits at the base of the mountain would be mandatory this year at Baxter, here is the text of the new policy which indicates that they are not mandatory but will be available for those from out of state. Note that in addition to the parking fee, those with out of state plates have to pay a fee to enter the park.

So if you want to feel lucky,arrive at the gate in the early morning and take your chances, just dont complain that you didnt get in.

Beginning with the 2010 season, you can make a Day Use Parking Reservation (DUPR) for Katahdin trailheads located at Roaring Brook, Abol or Katahdin Stream. This system continues to protect Katahdin trails and the fragile alpine habitat by maintaining parking capacities at each trailhead parking area while removing the uncertainty of acquiring access to a desired trail.

Parking lot capacities at Katahdin Trailheads:

Roaring Brook - 45 parking spaces - trails accessed are Helon Taylor Trail, Chimney Pond Trail, Saddle Trail, Cathedral Trail, Dudley Trail, Knife Edge and Hamlin Ridge Trail.
Abol - 16 parking spaces - trail accessed is Abol Slide
Katahdin Stream - 25 parking spaces - trails accessed are the Hunt trail (or A.T.) and the Owl.
Important to Know:

Maine residents will be able to secure a DUPR as of April 1 (must have a Maine driver's license and registration).
Non-residents can make a DUPR 3 weeks or less prior to the date of their intended hike.
A maximum of 3 DUPRs per month can be made by residents and non-residents and are intended for non-commercial use.
A fee of $5.00 will be assessed to cover the cost of administering the DUPR system due to expected volume of annual reservations.
DUPR calls will be accepted until 3:00pm on the day before you wish to hike Katahdin.
After 3:00 pm, daily updates will be available on the Park's hiker information line - (207) 723-INFO(4636) and the website (www.baxterstateparkauthority.com) regarding the number of spaces reserved and unreserved at each Katahdin trailhead for the next day.
Unreserved parking spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis as soon as the Togue Gate opens.
DUPR spots are held until 7:30am on the day of your reservation, after which any unfilled DUPRs or remaining space will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The Day Use Parking Reservation (DUPR) system is meant to assist Park visitors who wish to hike Katahdin. The system is still evolving and we continue to work out the kinks, therefore please check the website (www.baxterstateparkauthority.com) or call the hiker information line - (207) 723-INFO(4636), for information on how to secure your Day Use Parking Reservation.

I'd be curious how good a job they do re: updating the web site wrt to available spots. It's not been easy to find information (on the one thing I want to know about - day hiking the NE67/NEHH peaks.)

Tim

Unreserved parking spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis as soon as the Togue Gate opens.
So it's FCFS at the gate not the parking lot?

So if I spend the night at Katahdin Stream but don't have a site the next night, I need to drive to Togue Pond to get a space back at KS?

Roy, the italics are direct off the Baxter State Park website, I would suggest giving them a call directly and reporting the results of your inquiry.

I called Baxter and got this info to share. I have reserved two cabins for four each(total 8 people) in Baxter Park at Daicey Pond for Sept. 10-17. I come from New york (thus out-of-state). What is new about this whole policy is that where before if you camped in Baxter park you were able to go to the trailhead, park and hike. With the new policy, regardless if you have a reservation in the park, if you are dayhiking Katahdin, you need to get a DUPR (Day Use Parking Reservation). So if you figured just because you are there for a weekend and got a reservation at Nesowadnehunk Field or Daicey Pond for two nights, you still need a daypass for parking at the trailhead or you will need to hitch to the trailhead as they will not let you park there without a DUPR unless there are vacancies there. So, you make a reservation and hope for a good day or accept that you wasted $5 per car for a DUPR. Also, if you enter at the gate, before if you were within the first bunch of cars in line you were in. If all the DUPR's for the lot is reserved, you might get into the park, but can't climb Katahdin. So arriving early at the gate might not necessarily get you a pass to hike Katahdin. On the other hand, if you have a DUPR, you can go to the gate at 7 AM and be allowed in to go to Roaring Brook to hike Katahdin.

I personally think this is overall good, but involves more red tape, planning and has its drawbacks. I think there will be kinks that need to be considered and ironed out before this policy will be smooth sailing. IThe biggest problem, I see are no shows due to iffy weather. These spots are taken but could be used. Take my dilemma.

My dilemma is I am going for a week and I want to climb Katahdin on the first nice day, since i have some flexibility. With this new policy, I have to reserve, but I may waste my DUPR as I want to go on the first nice day, but being the first two days in Baxter are weekend days, I have to reserve as I don't want to be shut out. Then if the weather is so-so, I may not utilize the space. I plan on contacting Baxter immediately if this scenariio takes place. So I will be monitoring on the computer to see when the # of spaces remaining at the parking lot of my choice goes down to 5 or so - I must get my DUPR then. I think (or at least hope) there will be spots mid-week at Roaring Brook come Sept. so getting a DUPR might not be necessary.

Anyway, this is the way I understand this new policy after talking with the Baxter people via phone today. Hope this helps with understanding the new policy.

I already hate this system. It takes all the spontaneity out of climbing Katahdin and it increases the likelihood that people will try to climb the mountain on poor weather days (since they are locked into their hiking date).

At least where we are staying for our week is within walking distance to most trailheads, so I just might leave the car at the campsite. It does kill the spontaneity of picking a hike that morning.

no offense its a pretty mountain, but I wrote off baxter years ago, its not worth the bs, I was refused a solo winter ascent and got quite a hard time when I challenged them. I just dont see the attraction for all the regs involved.

Just keep piling on the red tape!! So many other places to hike in New England that don't bend you over backwards just to climb a mountain. Once in a great while to BSP is enough for me.

Last edited:
Shuttle Bus?

Are there any tour guide businesses in the area of Baxter S.P. that could shuttle hikers to the trailhead for a day hike of Katahdin and then pick up at the end of the day. That would certainly make it easier. If not, somebody should start up such a business.

Time to change the avatar :(

Are there any tour guide businesses in the area of Baxter S.P. that could shuttle hikers to the trailhead for a day hike of Katahdin and then pick up at the end of the day. That would certainly make it easier. If not, somebody should start up such a business.

Time to change the avatar :(

Eddie,
my guess is that the Baxter State Park Authority would frown on that. They use the number of cars entering as a way to ensure that the hiking population on Katahdin is limited. Having shuttle buses come in would defeat their objective.

I understand about wanting to change your Avatar. Several of my family members are Steeler fans and are questioning their loyalties, too.:(

Regards,
Marty

my guess is that the Baxter State Park Authority would frown on that. They use the number of cars entering as a way to ensure that the hiking population on Katahdin is limited. Having shuttle buses come in would defeat their objective.

I understand about wanting to change your Avatar. Several of my family members are Steeler fans and are questioning their loyalties, too.:(

Maybe some sort of "informal" shuttling would work, pay a local for rides to and fro.

My changing my avatar comment pertains to my disappointment over the Penguins losing to the Canadiens, not Big "Swinging Dick" Ben.

I guess what's needed most is Yogi Berra explaining this maze of rules :eek:

Baxter is a terrific place, no matter the regulations. As far as I'm concerned it is worth the bushwhack through this maze to get there and enjoy the place. That's more than I can say for the maze of regulations that gridloclk and supress us in the the more "civilized" areas of our lives.

I think a shuttle bus might exceed the size limitations allowed on Baxter roads. Perhaps a large van would be in compliance ... imagine an enterprising citizen willing to make the investment and take this on ... only to be turned back by the maze of requirements, regulations, licenses and fees to do it.

Still, it makes sense to the Park and I hope this idea is presented. Restriction at peak travel seasons to bus service is in effect in a growing number of national parks so there is no shortage of precedence and best practices ... heck, for cost I would even go out west and do a report on shuttle service ... let's see: Yosemite, Zion ... soon Yellowstone I bet ...

BSP: More than a Mountain

Way back before this site crashed (in like 2003) there was huge heated discussion about what the BSP Commission was going to do about the over use of the trail systems damaging the ecosystems. They were considering closing part of the tote road to make approaches longer or even closing some trails for a year at a time to allow regeneration of vegetation. This mainly pertains to Katahdin. Seems all the red tape is doing it's job and making some people look elsewhere for hiking.... and perhaps relieving stress on the mountain.

To comment on people being committed to their chosen summit day... My wife and I were camped at Roaring Brook for two nights this past weekend. We were supposed to summit, but the trails were closed due to too much snow. We took the opportunity to explore other parts of the park... Katahdin Lake, South Turner, etc. It is an amazing park, yet the mountain takes the brunt of the impact from users.

Last time I was on the mountain was in Dec 2000, but we got weathered off. Last time I summited was in like '96... I look forward to seeing the view from the summit again, but what this weekend showed me is that there is much more to experience. Being locked in for a weekend that we couldn't summit helped me discover that, and give me an itch to explore the back-country of the park... I suggest other people do as well. You can still admire the lady from a distance and have a great getaway... Perceval gave the whole park to the people of Maine, not just the mountain, and there is a reason for that, check it out!

Peace and Happy Trails!

Way back before this site crashed (in like 2003) there was huge heated discussion about what the BSP Commission was going to do about the over use of the trail systems damaging the ecosystems. They were considering closing part of the tote road to make approaches longer or even closing some trails for a year at a time to allow regeneration of vegetation.

The former superintendant Buzz Cavley thought that the road to Roaring Brook should be closed to create a more wilderness-like experience for the east side of Katahdin, making access to that area similar to what it is winter. But, he was never able to get the BPS Commission to go along on his idea. I think that the Commission's main issue with the idea was that the road could not be removed outright, and would be a real pain to walk, unlike in the winter when it can be x-c skied. I believe that the Roaring Brook shuttle idea was scrapped for the reasons already mentioned, that is the parking lot limits are de facto trail impact limits. I have never had any issues with the regulations at BSP, other than the helmet and rope above treeline requirements in the winter, which I believe now have been eased. Katahdin still remains one of my five favorite places on the planet.

What, is this like tackling mt everest or something????? :eek:

No, but given the distance it is from where most people live, most people feel the need to really plan a Baxter trip out. Waiting for a perfect weather day is certainly a concern as well, if you are there for the week and have that luxury. I was only able to hike it on a very cloudy day and I am certain I was robbed. Without the view, I consider that I still haven't really summited it and will be going back.

love spontaineity - never reserved

I've summited Katahdin several times, and never made prior reservations.

The other poster is right - there is so much more to explore at BSP than just Katahdin. When I go there I just show up at the gate and see what they got and go from there. Hiking Doubletop mountain is a great hiking experience among many other choices.

I LOVE Baxter and all their rules.

I was reflecting on this as I sipped my Yukon Blend this morning, and thinking were it not for Baxter policies and their reinforcement by dedicated,diligent rangers, that place could be a real free for all.

Personally I like the way they run it. I loved it when the ranger came along and had us move out of the cabin at Kidney Pond because we moved in 20" early. I kept telling my friend it wasn't a good idea and sure enough, we look up and who is standing at the door. We moved it all out and all back in at the designated time. This was one small incident, but when you have a large group of people pushing the envelope, things seem to have a way of escalating, and the problems just get bigger and more difficult to deal with. I cannot begin to imagine what Baxter would look like if everyone did as they pleased. They probably could not even keep up withe rescues, and the parking wars, etc. ect. etc.

I thing of Baxter as a very special place and I am happy that they work hard to keep it that way. Not all will agree but I hope they keep up the good work and they can always modify the new parking system if it's not working out as planned. It appears that the rangers work hard to maintain the flow so people can have a positive experience.

Maybe September....just writing this make me want to be there. I had best remember to make my reservations. Wishing everyone happy hiking and happy parking!
:D;):)

Data Points

Since I'm headed up to Baxter next week, I've been checking in with their parking reservation system the last 4 Thursdays to see how the reservations for each of the three trailheads is shaping up for that weekend. Here are the average number of open spaces available at each site for each day:
FRI / SAT / SUN
ABOL 13 / 12 / 14
KATAHDIN STREAM 21 / 14 / 20
ROARING BROOK 20 / 0 / 24

Last edited: