New GPS/SPOT Device

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Quote from a newsletter for an event sponsored by Delorme. I didn't realize they made (or marketed) GPS:

DeLorme prepares to release new product before the Trek!

The DeLorme Earthmate® PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator, due for release in late Spring, will be the
first handheld GPS navigation device capable of sending customized text messages even when the user is
operating far beyond the range of cellular communications.
The revolutionary SPOT Satellite Communicator, designed exclusively for the new PN-60w,
merges SPOT satellite message functionality and state-of-the-art DeLorme GPS mapping via
wireless. Users can type and send freeform text messages from the field using the PN-60w’s
keyboard to select individuals or groups from remote areas around the world. Among the
exciting new PN-60 features is an elevation profile screen that pinpoints the user’s position on
the profile – ideal for those Trek Across Maine hill climbs.

I don’t have a cell phone, so I don’t know first hand if this is true, but I’ve read that text messages can go through when a call will not. Maybe because the phone will continue to try to send it through long after you have given up, until it does go through. So it may not be necessary to buy a special GPS receiver just for that feature.

I don’t have a cell phone, so I don’t know first hand if this is true, but I’ve read that text messages can go through when a call will not. Maybe because the phone will continue to try to send it through long after you have given up, until it does go through. So it may not be necessary to buy a special GPS receiver just for that feature.

Text can go through because it doesn't need the strength of signal that voice does. Still no signal no message.

I saw the promo from SPOT about the DeLorme/Spot device. I'm thinking I wll sit tight with the old SPOT device I have which I have close to 100% success with for my uses.

The next generation of SPOT had a big recall, so I'm hoping the newest works nice and smoothly right from the box .

It does sound like a good partnership so I hoping for the best.

...I’ve read that text messages can go through when a call will not. ...
So it may not be necessary to buy a special GPS receiver just for that feature.
Some cell phones can also send a GPS coord with the message, but a real GPS can presumably send a more accurate one. If these were available last month it might have saved a life in the Catskills, if with good coord the rescuers could have found a man a day and a half sooner.