Go to Katahdin - ca. 1923

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
The Maine Forester is the yearbook of the University of Maine School of Forest Resources. The UM library recently began a project to digitize and archive as many issues as are available on its site. I read the following article and thought many of you would enjoy it. Pay particular attention to the description of how to be a guided client. Good fun...

Go to Katahdin
by Archer Grover in the inaugural 1923 issue of The Maine Forester

forester5.jpg

Image is of a different issue

That was a great read. Good fun is never old. I was interested in the article, too, about the creation of Memorial Town Forests as a way for towns to raise funds, especially because of the deplorable conditions of the existing forests. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting, Spencer. Gotta love the spellings in the June Esquire 1804reference: "A Description of Natardin or Catardin Mountain." If you see anything else of interest, please let us know! :)

Awesome read Spencer!

I loved the 1804 quote:

"The Indians have a superstition respecting this mountain,
that the evil spirit, whom they call Pamola, inhabits it, at least in the winter, and flies off in the spring with tremendous rumbling noises"

I wonder if that statement has anything to do with the Spring blackfly invasion... The black flys in late May can even cause a God to seek cover! :eek:

I like the leaving the rum on the summit. Folks knew how to live then. Maybe some of Wu's ancestors...