Where to? Overnight hike with students in Vermont...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I've been the leader of the high school outing club in the school I teach at for a few years now, and we've managed three overnight hikes a year during my tenure. As I know the shelters and trails in the Whites well, that's where we've always gone. This year the kids want to go to Vermont...and I'm pretty clueless.

So...a few questions....
1) What is a good guidebook for shelters in Vermont...
2) What are some favorite backcountry shelters of yours in Vermont?

What I'm looking for...someplace where a shelter can become a destination, perhaps near a view or a lake. Somewhere that is a three to as many as 6 mile hike in/to, and something not too technical. We usually have a wide variety of experience and fitness levels, so a steep hike is less prefered.

Examples of what we've done in the past: Baldface shelter, Kinsman Shelter, Carter Notch, Grey Knob, Mizpah shelter. Rarely do these trips proceed to their adjacent peaks...

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Contact the Green Mountain Club for good advice.

Current Long Trail Guide probably is the best (book) starting point. I'd recommend some kind of "gap-to-gap" hike on the Long Trail, if you can organize shuttles.

G.

when are thinking of coming? The GMC shuts down most trails/shelters during mud season, which stretches to Memorial day. Then you get bugs.

Thanks for the insite so far. We will be going around Memorial day weekend, maybe a week before or after...so that's an important consideration as to open/closed!

Bugs...eh...we know bugs...

The GMC cabins up in the Northeast Kingdom are a nice spot. The name escapes me (wheeler pond maybe?) AMC used to own them. There are a couple of nearby mountains that can be climbed from the cabin. The walk in is a gravel road walk (they are drive in during the summer and fall). You can make reservations so there are no issues with displacing other campers)

Stratton Pond would be a lovely destination but would likely be mobbed on the holiday weekend. Also I don't think there are tentsites there anymore which would mean you'd be taking over a popular shelter. There are several routes into it, though, and some are pretty flat and easy.

Another thought is the new Bromley shelter on the LT. There are tentsites there and an excellent privy. The walk into it isn't to bad, IIRC, and then you might cajole some of your kids into dayhiking up to the summit for a sunset or sunrise.

As others have said, the GMC website and their publications are great resources.
-vegematic

If vegetarians eat vegetables said:
I'm inspired....
We must protect the eagles from Egalitarians. And I say we let the Livertarians eat all they want. I'm going to keep my eye on our local Librarian. Are Agrarians self-sufficient?

Authoritarians don't bother me but Barbarians must have heartburn. Bulgarians will move on to Turkey for dessert. Disciplinarians must stop. A Grammarian will eventually be rendered speechless. Let's not discuss the Ovarian. Octogenarians will eventually run out of time. And Contrarians will simply not eat. We can let the Proletarians eat cake. The Utilitarians will eventually eat in the dark while the Seminarians will be outdoors. The Rotarians will create traffic problems and the Vulgarians... well, how do you eat that?

Hi there --

From a VT native and five-year former leader of a high school outing club:

Agree, the GMC's LT guide is the book you want. There are a handful of shelters & other backpackable spots in the state off the LT, but really it's what you want.

Memorial day or later only. The closure would prohibit your going a week before.

You want to bring a fairly small group with you wherever you go since most of the LT shelters are not very large. I would suggest no larger than 7 or 8 including yourself, and bring tent backup anyway.

If I could only send you to one place for a hike of the dimensions you describe, I'd say go to Skyline Lodge on the LT near Ripton. It's a beautiful and relatively large cabin near a scenic pond. It's about three miles from the trailhead. Drop your packs and do a hike north about a mile and a half on the LT to the summit of Bread Loaf. This is a nice peak with a commanding view. Reverse the procedure to leave.

Last edited:
For a Vermont Shelter destination, I recommend:

Stark's Nest (spacious cabin, great views, bring water though)
Whiteface Shelter (great views, water, nice hike)
Corliss Camp (nice cabin, plenty of tenting, water)