Garmin 60CSX Sale!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
If you're within driving distance of E. Hartford, CT, Cabela's is running a one-day sale on March 20th for the Garmin 60 CSX, @ $199.99. If you've been wanting one this might be the time to pull the trigger. I bought one about 6 months ago and am very pleased with it. Hope some folks can take advantage of this sale.

Cheers, Stu

Chip, believe it or not I have never been in the store! I don't get over that way very often but I do really need to check it out sometime. I buy most of my stuff online.
You could call ahead to find out how many they have.
Stu

Road trip! :D

What's the closest brewpub to Cabela's? ;)

Calling Tom Rankin! <flashes VNB logo into the night sky a la the Batsignal...>
Hahahahhahahahahah! :D

Now there's a concept!

Can someone make this

viewsandbrewsnysmall.jpg

flash?

:eek: :D

I want to thank DougPaul for pointing me to the LL Bean store in Burlington, MA.
They were selling the 60CSx for $150. I called a few min ago and ordered the last new-in-box one. It has the SiRFstar chipset. Garmin now uses its own chip design and I've been looking all over for a SiRFstar model.

They do have a display model, also on sale for $150. If you don't care which chipset it contains, there is only 1 more 60CSx in the store. Extraordinary price.
Ask for Pete.

Alan

discontinued?

With the 60CSx selling for $150, is this an indication that the model is about to be discontinued? If so, then what's a good substitute?

Garmin is throwing all their development into the Oregon and 400 series GPS. Those units have some admirable features: larger, high resolution screen. Touch screen. Ability to download true terrain maps. Very sensitive compass.

Many believe that as of now, the CSx units are the best hiker's and bushwhacker's GPS units though. Highest sensitivity chipset( thick cover, snowy canopy, in canyons on big trees/rocks blocking). The antenna orientation of the CSx series is most sensitive held vertically or attached to a packstrap. I'd need to see how good a touch screen functions in gear-grabbing thick stuff or with gloves and mittens in winter.

I bought the 60CSx as a backup precisely because Garmin might be starting to phase them out.

With the 60CSx selling for $150, is this an indication that the model is about to be discontinued? If so, then what's a good substitute?
Don't think so. This is the result of a past half-off sale at L.L.Bean. The low price was unknown until someone did a price-check in response to my inquiry. (IIRC, the tag said $299.99.)

The 60CSx came out in 2005 or 2006 and has stayed on the market for an unusually long time. A number of knowledgeable individuals (myself included) are of the opinion that the more recent models are less useful. I was talking with a salesman-friend at REI yesterday and he commented that people keep on buying them.

Still, given how long this unit has been on the market one wonders how much longer it will remain in Garmin's current list. (I'm guessing the "announcement" will be accomplished by Garmin moving the 60CSx from the current models to the discontinued models on their website followed by a flurry of reports on various newsgroups and websites.)

FWIW, the 76CSx is also still current.

Doug

Last edited:
I bought a second 60CSx in 2008. I wanted to have a backup on Rainier (didn't need it), and just in case they discontinued it. I just can't imagine how any "improvements" could make it any better. It's a gem and one of my favorite pieces of hiking gear.

I bought a second 60CSx in 2008. I wanted to have a backup on Rainier (didn't need it), and just in case they discontinued it. I just can't imagine how any "improvements" could make it any better. It's a gem and one of my favorite pieces of hiking gear.
I can think of some:
* able to use lithium batteries without first discharging the initial voltage spike
* 3D magnetic compass (so you don't have to hold it exactly level when using the compass)
* preset contexts (so you could change from hiking to driving mode with one button)
* Ability to choose between GPS and barometric altitudes.

Some of which are in some of the later models. But all-in-all, I think it is pretty good.

The SiRFstarIV GPS chipset also came out late last year. (The 60CSx uses the SiRFstarIII chipset although there are reports that Garmin is using a different chipset in some of the newer units. Garmin certainly has been using other chipsets in some of their other recent models.) The IV model appears to be a little better than the III model, but III is good enough that many users might not notice the difference.

Doug

One of my GPS gurus told me that Garmin might be talking to the developers of the SiRFstar chipsets about incorporating the latest generation of chips in Oregon 450 or later models. That would still leave some issues about the touchscreen for hikers/bushwhackers, but for a 3 season unit, an Oregon 450 or a someday 500 with the latest SiRFstar chip might be both desirable and $$.