Albany area hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Z

Reaction score
I will be in Albany this weekend, and have about 3 - 4 hours to kill on Sunday morning. I'm totally unfamiliar with the area, other than the roads to the capitol. Are then any good hikes around that would take 3 to 4 hours including driving time?

Thanks for any help.

Keith

Take Rte 2 east out of Troy and head towards Petersburg.
You will cross the spectacular Petersburg Pass on the way. The Taconic Crest Trail crosses the pass there. If you head south out of the Pass, you can get to the open-topped Berlin Mt between 1 and 2 hours. If you head north, there are some nice views along the way, nice woods, and if you move along, you'll hit the side trail for Snow Hole, where there is holdover snow from last season down in the caves.

You could also drive south of Albany about 50 minutes and climb Windham High Peak, one of the Catskill 3500ers. Windham is about 6 miles r/t and around 2,000' ascent with some nice views from the summit.

Albany area hikes

Another potential spot is Thacher State Park. It's only 15miles from Albany off of RT 85( New Scotland Ave). Take 85 to New Salem. Go up( 1 mile) the hill and take a right, follow the signs to Thacher. There is an overlook that sports a great view north and a decent view of the Albany area. An indian ladder trail that is good for beginners and other trails throughtout the park that would keep you busy for at least the 3 to 4 hours you mentioned.
On your way back, you could visit Indian Ladder Farms and get cider donuts, fruit and stuff like that. This place is in Voorheesville, just a short detour from your route.

This Park is where Verplank Colvin practiced his trianglelation techniques before heading up to the High Peaks to survey and map that area.

Good Luck,

Mike G.

Keith,

Good suggestions from others. I'll just add that if you do decide to hike in Thatcher Park, I'd recommend hiking the Long Path to Roemer High Point, where you'll get nice views west and south toward the Catskills. Follow Mike's directions and park at the Paint Mine Lot (on left). You'll probably also have time to explore the Indian Ladder trail as well.

i agree with THatcher state park. and definitly go to Roemer high point. great views..

have a good one...

The Snow Hole!!

Take the Taconic Crest Trail to the SnowHole. Park at Petersburgh Pass, Rte 2, on the Mass border and go north on the TCT trail. It is about 40min drive from Albany and about a 2.5hr hike at a leisurely pace!

It is cool! :eek:

If you need more info, let me know!

Ditto on Peakbagr and iceNsnow's suggestion of Berlin Mnt. and the Snow Hole. I will add that if you go to the Snow Hole, check out all the old names and dates carved into the soft stone of the hole. It's really quite fascinating!