Dog hiking question for high peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
This isn't a should a dog hike there question so flamers need not reply. I plan on daytripping on one of the high peaks with a friend and my dog this saturday. I would like to stay off of fragile summits, and avoid crowds(and a leash). I'm thinking Seymour or Allen. I don't know if the hunters are out in the Allen area yet, and if they are, even for just setting up areas for the hunting season, or target practice, any of that I would rather stay out. The only other choice would be the Dix range I think. Any hiker/dog folks out there that get out? Where do you go? I doubt my four legged friend would like the trap dyke much. I'll be there next weekend...

I know riffle season for deer doesn't start until the weekend after Columbus Day. I'm not sure when early bear season starts though. My guess is you won't run into any hunters yet. I've been with my friend and his dog over the RPR/Giant trail from New Russia as well as the Great Range. The range trail was hard with the leash. RPR was easier, but we still had to put the dog on the leash when we were near people and on the summits.