Would you climb Mt Everest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
If you could get sponsorship or otherwise your trip was paid for and you could obtain a no-strings attached leave of absents from work:

Would you sign up for the challenge? Why or why not?

Some concerns that come to mind for me would be:

1. Would my health be affected? (I lost enough brain cells when I was young)
2. Would I be successful? (Would I have come back and tell everyone I was a loser.)
3. Would the risk be too great? (After all, folk die up there every year)
4. Would there be too much down time on this trip? (I might get bored with all the hanging around reading the same 4oz book over and over.)
5. What if the rest of your team were all jerks? (Folks that have the wherewithal for this type of thing tend to be a different crowd?)
6. Would the yaks be too friendly? (Everest climbing season is their mating season and most climbers smell like goats)

I've read a lot of books on that place.
So, from what I learned, I can honestly say, never, even for a million bucks.

Probably not...from what I've read and seen...it is such a high price (money, physically, and emotionally) and then, once there...it just doesn't seem worth that price...

However...would LOVE to hit ABC...that, in and of itself would be very cool!

If you could get sponsorship or otherwise your trip was paid for and you could obtain a no-strings attached leave of absents from work:

Would you sign up for the challenge? Why or why not?

I'm fascinated by Everest, as evidenced by the many books and DVDs in my mountaineering library.

That said, the probability of me ever climbing it is approaching zero, as I have one pre-condition that will never be met: I need to have the route to myself (or exclusively to our expedition).

I'd be perfectly comfortable building up my mountaineering skills to the point where I'm competent on 8,000M peaks, and at that point would be willing to take the calculated risk of attempting an Everest ascent with all its various objective dangers (weather, avalanches, hypoxia, altitude sickness, Khumbu Icefall or Second Step, etc.)

What I would NOT be willing to accept is the risk of dying on the climb due to the ineptitude of the other climbers on the mountain at the same time. Watching the first season of Everest: Beyond the Limit on Discovery was a sobering experience, seeing competent climbers from a well-equipped and well-run expedition stranded above the Second Step for an hour or more while marginally capable climbers struggled up the ladder. Their lives were risked, not by the challenges they themselves took on, but by the actions of the other climbers. No thanks!! :eek:

I call it the "no gumby" rule, which is why the Big E ain't for me... :rolleyes:

not for me. If the mountain didn't kill me, my best friend would!

Never. There are too many things out of your control on the mountain, including inexperienced climbers, occassional unreliable porters/sherpas, permit issues (esp on the chinese side), and then there is all the dead bodies you must pass by on the way to the top. I also don't like the amount of trash on the mountain (i.e. o2 bottles, abandoned gear, and flags on the top).

Last edited:
I see why not, if somebody wants to pay the costs and the time, nobody says you have to summit...

Now those yaks....

Jay

the singular obsession with reaching everests summmit that some people have is beyond me (i'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, i just don't get it). that said, if the opportunity to go was thrown in my lap expense free i would have a hard time not giving it a shot. i'd probably at least go to base camp and watch the circus.
i would also be content to just pocket the 60 grand and put it towards travelling the northeastern u.s. and hiking for the rest of my life.

bryan

Good point about the long lines. You can always pass but the language barrier might be an issue.
You’d have to have a pretty high risk tolerance too.

mk-at-geneva-spur.jpg

I'd like to do/plan to do the trek to Base Camp, spend some time there baking bread, taking pics, and listening to climbing stories. I'd like to think I could make it to Camp 1 or 2, but am not deluded enough to believe I could safely summit. I'd want 5 or 6 of the 7 before even considering Camp 1 or 2. The crowds would kill me, too, like others have said.

Absolutely! Time and Money are the only things keeping me away. Having been to the Khumbu, and enjoyed the view of the Everest group for two weeks from our camps on Pumori, I'd love to go back and climb any of those peaks (Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, etc.). Or most any peak in that area, for that matter. The only one I would shy away from trying would be K2. That one is markedly more difficult and dangerous than any of the others. While I have all the skills, I think I'm too old at this point (54) to be able to get strong enough to handle potential emergencies on K2.

No.

If time and money were no object, I could be tempted by some pretty high peaks, but not quite that high. I've been a voracious reader of anything having to do with Himalayan mountaineering since I was a kid, and all I've read has convinced me I have no business going to 8,000 meters.

Now, if the time and money thing weren't an issue, would I go somewhere between, say, 20 and 23,000 feet? Heck yes, I'd be on the next plane to India, or Ecuador, or wherever. I think that would be great.

I don't see any reason to trek beyond Ama Dablan; better climbing, no crowds, tolerable elevation on one of the world's most beautiful mountains.

I have not found any true redeeming value for Everest other than height. Years ago some magazine listed the second seven summits - #2 on each continent and they seemed generally more interesting; K2, Logan, etc.

Never-ever....

Without dwelling on my many reasons why I won't ever hike over 15K feet, suffice it to say: I'll never climb it.

My youngest brother spent some time trekking through Nepal several years ago in the winter, including going to an area just below Everest's base camp. From his description of the conditions, etc, I concluded it requires a specialized breed of mountain climber to ever want, much less climb Everest. My hat's off to anyone who can, and has attempted it with good style - i.e. is willing to assist/rescue others, even at the cost of not making it to the summit.

And lastly, as Ed Viesturs so eloquently put it:
"Getting to the top is optional, but getting down is mandatory.”

--Mike

I'd like to do/plan to do the trek to Base Camp, spend some time there baking bread, taking pics, and listening to climbing stories. I'd like to think I could make it to Camp 1 or 2, but am not deluded enough to believe I could safely summit. I'd want 5 or 6 of the 7 before even considering Camp 1 or 2. The crowds would kill me, too, like others have said.
Our friend Paula just went. I can put you 2 in touch if you'd like.

No. I was in the Army and did some dangerous stuff there but at least I had some degree of control over my situation. Quite frankly, I just enjoy hiking for the fun of it and the (mental) relaxation. I am perfectly content in the Whites with the 4Ks, sometimes even a 3K.

As for the Yaks, no problem, it wouldn't be my first time.

JUST KIDDING. ;)

Having given the chance I would have said No few yrs back, now HELL yes why not. To be given the chance to step foot on TOP OF THE WORLD, oh yes. I'd give it my best chance and if i was turned around by my call I could say I gave it my all, besides thats what a challange is about, giving it your all and walking away satisfied or plans for revenge. :D