care to discuss your winter day/climbing pack ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Now that this winter is over, I'm thinking about the next one;

I have been using the Osprey Switch 40+ for the past few years and like the way I can strap skis, snowshoes etc to it and its durability. I don't use the "switch" aspect of the pack (you can detach the main pack compartment and just use it as a hydration pack) and the separate back and front main compartments are more of a chore than they're worth. There are lighter packs too. S&C had the Mammut Spindrift listed earlier , which means they'll probably have it up again and that looked like a nice pack.

I'd like a winter daypack that I can strap skis and snowshoes to for day hikes and also gear for ice climbing.

What're you using ?

I have the Lowe Alpine Airzone Centro 35. I have strapped snowshoes to the daisy chain with an add-on strap. I don't know about skis though.

Features I really like are:
1) Top opening (no "U" shaped zippers to come undone and lose stuff)

2) Relatively light

3) A lightweight hip belt that is comfortable and can accomodate a camera case and two bottle cozies in such a way that they don't slide off when I take the pack off.

4) Open webbing frame ("Airzone") to keep my back cool in warmer weather.

5) Only 4 closable compartments.

Features I don't like:
1) I cannot reach the top cover/compartment while I am wearing it.

2) The pole attachment feature is so weak that I tore it off the first time I used it.

I had posted advice on buying the Mammut pack when I thought your source was only from Europe. That REI price is very good, even with the Euro tanking -- jump on it!

Signed,
A still loyal Lowe Alpine fan . . . who wishes he hadn't seen the Mammut deal at REI

Yeah, I like Lowe Alpine products a lot. I don't believe that pack would hold skis/axes/climbing gear etc, though. I'm really interested in these Mammut packs. They look substantial and light. And that sulpher one would match me jacket ! :eek: :D

I have the Mammut Ice 35 which is an almost identical pack. It is my dedicated SAR pack. The first time out with it I hated it but on the second trip out with it I actually forgot I was carrying a pack. I absolutely love it.

My other winter day pack is the WildThings Guide pack. I really cant say enough good things about this pack. Tough, light weight, just the things I need with no BS stuff.

Yeah, I like Lowe Alpine products a lot. I don't believe that pack would hold skis/axes/climbing gear etc, though. I'm really interested in these Mammut packs. They look substantial and light. And that sulpher one would match me jacket ! :eek: :D

Dude...I didn't know you were in the market! I'll give you a good deal on my barely-used Marmot Eiger 36. It's an awesome pack -- been on top of Algonquin and Giant in winter -- but I really need to thin the herd a bit. Call me.

Since I know you're a slave to fashion, I'll be up front and tell you it's royal blue -- dunno how well that will go with your plutonium-coloured shell... :rolleyes:

Eiger 35

I can add my positives on my Marmot Eiger 35. I am thrilled how great the load transfer is onto the hips with this pack. I just used it up Giant and carried my snowshoes, crampons, down jacket, and lots of pounds of winter gear and felt zero weight on my shoulders. I was very nervous taking the completely filled pack up the mountain but forgot about it most of the trip. I attached a snowshoe to each side with the built in belt-clips. I assume it is a discontinued model so a used deal is probably great. My only con is that as a deep top-loader with no side access, you may be fishing around to get something on the bottom.

Last edited:
Like Hikes4fun, I use the old Osprey Stratos 40. I'm glad the pack is in good shape, because I'm not seeing any current packs out there that I like as well.

Last edited:
It's an awesome pack -- been on top of Algonquin in winter -- :
:rolleyes: So had my canvas, external frame boy scout pack with the plastic straps that snapped in the cold !

Since I know you're a slave to fashion, I'll be up front and tell you it's royal blue --
that would be a hurdle...

I wasn't thinking about any of this until I saw the Mammut Spindrift on S&C this morning...D@MN YOU STEEP AND CHEAP !!!!

Dude...I didn't know you were in the market! I'll give you a good deal on my barely-used Marmot Eiger 36. It's an awesome pack -- been on top of Algonquin and Giant in winter -- but I really need to thin the herd a bit. Call me.

Since I know you're a slave to fashion, I'll be up front and tell you it's royal blue -- dunno how well that will go with your plutonium-coloured shell... :rolleyes:
Wouldn't it have to be Pink? :D

Black Diamond's covert pack comes in ever-stylish black ;)
http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/44458/BD-Covert-32

I see a LOT of skiers use this and would get one myself if I did not already have a fairly new Vaude ski/winter pack. What I love about the Covert is the diagonal mounting for skis - no A-frame assembly shenanigans involved.

You can get a version without the built-in avalung.

Gregory reality. Im not sure how old mine is, 12 yrs or older, one of the finest packs ever produced. Nice roomey top lid, full center zip for total access, mesh pockets on both sides, full length sewn loops runnning down the back and a strap system second to none. Ive carried 90 lbs in this pack with zero difficulty.

Chip-The Mammut is on SAC now!!

yeah, I caught that and bought that http://www.steepandcheap.com/

still there. Paradox actually just called me to tell me too ! He's "working" :rolleyes: at home today...although I'm obviously not too stressed at work today either.

Happy Birthday to me !

anybody like to bid on a nice Osprey Switch 40 ?

Black Diamond's covert pack comes in ever-stylish black ;)
http://www.backcountry.com/store/review/44458/BD-Covert-32

I see a LOT of skiers use this and would get one myself if I did not already have a fairly new Vaude ski/winter pack. What I love about the Covert is the diagonal mounting for skis - no A-frame assembly shenanigans involved.

You can get a version without the built-in avalung.

I saw that one. Definately was considering it. I'll probably get as much for my lightly used Osprey as I just paid for the Mammut, though.

Hines Serex. One of the first internal frame packs. (c. 1980) Single large compartment with drawstring closure. Top zipper pocket, small pocket on back. Bivy (expansion) sleeve. Three compression straps on the sides. (Skis fit behind the straps and snowshoes can strap/bungee cord to them.) Fabric: cordura. 4000 cu in, shrinks to ~2000 cu in. 4 lbs.

Carries as much or as little as I need, hiking or BC skiing. A little big for ice climbing--I used a 1500-2000 cu in pack for that.

Doug

Deuter 45+ Guide. Comfortable carrying, robust and with nice access, pockets and attachment features. It looks like new after 4 SSW's and much more. And very plush to lie on for 16 hours if you're so inclined :)

Last edited:
Good topic. I've been thinking about getting a new winter pack for the next winter season. I've been using an EMS-brand pack (can't remember the model name, and it's discontinued) for the past 2 winters. My favorite feature is the "shovit" pocket on the back, because I can put my snowshoes in that pocket in about 20 seconds, without having to strap them to the pack. I'll definitely miss that feature when I get a new pack, but that's the only feature I really like. The pack is just not very comfortable. Thinking of getting one of those Osprey packs, because my summer pack has a similar kind of netting on the back, just like some Osprey models do, and I find it to be really comfortable.

Last edited:
My favorite feature is the "shovit" pocket on the back, because I can put my snowshoes in that pocket in about 20 seconds, without having to strap them to the pack. I'll definitely miss that feature when I get a new pack, but that's the only feature I really like.

The Osprey Atmos line of packs have a large outside pocket that works well for "shove"-carrying smaller, MSR Denali/Evo- or Tubbs Flex-style snowshoes.

Just sayin'...