Taconic Crest Trail info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
Looking at trying to avoid the crowds on Columbus weekend and need to a place about halfway between Philly and Southern NH and this looked like an option. Hiked Alander, Brace, Race last year and had a great time. Unfortunately, I can't find any maps or trail info online about the Taconic Crest. Does anyone know of a source that would help? EMS in Peterborough didn't have anything.

Thanks!

Quietman said:
I can't find any maps or trail info online about the Taconic Crest. Does anyone know of a source that would help?

None of these references are current; I wouldn't mind updating, myself, but FWIW:

Guide to the Taconic Trail System
author: Christopher J. Ryan
New England Cartographics
PO Box 369
Amherst, MA 01004

New York Walk Book - Fifth Edition
author: New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
Doubleday
ISBN 0-385-15584-0

South Taconic Trails Map
published by: New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
GPO Box 2250
New York, NY 10116
212-685-9699

Natural Areas of Rensselaer County, NY 2nd Edition
Environment Clearing House of Schenectady

Has a relatively up-to-date map of Taconic Crest trail from Pownal, VT to Pittsfield, MA.

Be aware that sections of this trail are used by motorized vehicles (ATVs, motorbikes) and mountain bikes. So, it is not the most pleasant hiking experience in spots.

AMC Guide

The Taconic Crest Trail is well covered in the AMC's new (red) Massachusetts Trail Guide. EMS carries it. Most of it is included on the Greylock map as well. I believe the old (green) guide covered it also.

Have fun.

Taconic Crest Hiking Club

This club has put out a guide and an excellent set of maps available at The Book House of Styvesant(sp?) Plaza, near Crossgates Mall in Albany.

Here's a link to a map of the Hopkins Memorial Forest, which includes part of the Taconic Crest Trail. The last time I hiked the Snow Hole there were maps available at the trailhead - a short hike up from the road. I've been meaning to explore these other connecting trails.

Berlin Mtn and end-to-end

Berlin Mountain provides wonderful views, especially for the elevation.

The Taconic Hiking Club sponsors an end-to-end on the Taconic Crest Trail each year in early May. It's about 29 miles and 6000 foot of ascent. There are some "not so great" spots due to the use of ATVs on the trail, but overall it's very nice.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I just ordered the guide and maps from the Book House (very nice people) and with that and all of your info, I should have everything I need.

:D