disorientation at Pawtuckaway SP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I've been to Pawtuckaway SP about 10 times in the past 5 years and have probably gotten lost* at least 5 times... would have blamed it on myself but I just had a conversation w/ other friends who have had similar experiences, and I don't seem to have this problem on other trails.

what gives? Anyone else willing to admit the trails there are disorienting?

* "lost" = got off-trail by accident, or missed a turn onto another trail.

I'm willing to admit it. I get confused there all the time. Well, I only go there once a year or so, so it might just be not being familiar enough. It's a small area with a lot of trails and not much for distinction. I think Dogtown in Gloucester, MA is similar, except that now I have a good map and there are a lot of great landmarks in Dogtown.

Never been to Pawtuckaway, but I've gotten "lost" a few times in the Blue Hills (south of Boston). Just daydreaming, not paying attention, then find myself descending toward a road/trailhead I didn't know existed.

The trails aren't well marked and there are plenty of unofficial herd paths you can get on by mistake, but if you have a map and choose the right one they can be better than the trails :)

I get confused when I use the roads to any extent, mostly because I think I know them and don't bother looking at the map. I find the trails and the bushwhacking straightforward enough.

I agree, the Blue Hills can be very confusing, but they've got a great map for sale at the visitor center.

Not afraid to admit it. On my second trip there we tried to do a loop over North Pawtuckaway (which I had done in the other direction the first time), and got lost for about 30 minutes trying to find the right trail down. Lots of confusing blazes of different colors didn't help.

that park, while a great place, is very hard to navigate. It took me several visits before I got to know my way around.

IMO, it's not just the availability of the locale that leads the orienteering crowd to use it for their events. There is something intrinsic about that place that's gonna end in a Donner Party outcome someday . . . ;)

Orienteering meets take place in areas where an Orienteering Map has been prepared. These are extremely detailed, allowing you to find that banner behind the two meter boulder.Blue Hills has been used for a very long time. I have maps from Orienteering there in the 70's .I always was amazed, bursting out of the woods and seeing the busy highways below

Roy is correct about all the herd paths (false trails) I think they are a reslut of people getting lost. The trails tend to wind around and not go in the direction you think they should go in. Also the trail map doesn't accurately show how the trails go. I have been hiking all the trails with my GPS to come home and put the track on the map. A trail map made this way would probably help people find thier way around. We were just in there Saturday and they have put up new signs at all the major junctions with trail names and mileage. Now they just need to mark the trails themselves better.

Trail layout and junction layout can contribute to this issue, in addition to marking and signage, or lack thereof. Often, poor trail layout results from unofficial herd paths, as mentioned above. Sometimes the poor layout is done by the trail designers trying to be creative...

Orienteering meets take place in areas where an Orienteering Map has been prepared. These are extremely detailed, allowing you to find that banner behind the two meter boulder.

Been there, done that (including some of the map production elsewhere). My thesis is that Up North Orienteers uses Pawtuckaway for its intrinsic value as a venue for orienteering, not merely because it's open to such use or that they have a map ready.

Trail layout and junction layout can contribute to this issue, in addition to marking and signage, or lack thereof. Often, poor trail layout results from unofficial herd paths, as mentioned above. Sometimes the poor layout is done by the trail designers trying to be creative...

"Even worse but common in some areas" reminds me of the Times Square vicinity. :)

Pawtuckaway is a pretty neat place. It is confusing as hell. Firstly there are two "sides". The front side is where the campgrounds, beaches, and day use areas are. This is also where the orienteering takes place; between the parking lots and the eastern foot of South Mt including the boat launch and the Big Island. The back woods of this area is as wild as any place in NH. There aren't many trails and the map from the state almost useless. The whole area is covered on the O-maps. These can be bought from UNO usually at the events. I would recommend getting one and exploring. Just pick a point and go. The whole area is superb.

The backside is where I live and that is the ring dike. The mountains are all curved further adding to the "What the heck" factor. The only good maps for this is the topos. The roads crisscross the area so you won't get lost but you just may have a long walk. This area has very cool ridges and summits. It's where the fire tower is and it is the remains of an old farming community complete with many cellar holes, wells, and cemeteries (and really cool stories). It is also where the good rock climbing is.

The two sides are fairly separated from each other; only two trails connect them. Many folks only go to one side and never experience the other. I don't like to pay so I rarely go to the front unless I walk or ride.

I still get turned around in there, particularly in the Devils Den area. Explore and have fun.
Bob

"Even worse but common in some areas" reminds me of the Times Square vicinity. :)
Reminds me of the Fells, actually. Really too dense of a trail network in there, with use paths making it worse. IMPOSSIBLE to take a leak.

Thread drift! Mohonk preserve has SO MANY TRAILS that it's easy to get confused. And every sign says 'To Mohonk Mountain House' with an arrow pointing the way. Who cares?! I'm not a guest! I'm a hiker! (I know, the signs are to guide clueless guests back to the hotel.)

Back on topic, and my solution to the Mohonk problem:

Bring the maps! :eek:

We were in Pawtuckaway a few years back and, yes, I would agree that the place is confusing. Our biggest issue, though, was the map. I don't know if they've improved the map or signage any, but not only were the herd paths not marked on it (which I wouldn't expect), but neither were what appeared to be pretty major snowmobile trails/woods roads (which I would expect as a point of a landmark). That got really confusing, because they could EASILY be mistaken for a regular trail, woods road, etc. There was more than one instance that we thought we knew where we were and it turned out we didn't have a clue. We were under a time limit that day and barely made it back to our car in time. The experience was so frustrating because of the bad map that we haven't been back since.

I got lost while doing a long run through Pawtuckaway with a friend about 8 years ago. We ended up in Deerfield, NH - I didn't even know there was a Deerfield, NH at the time! We stopped in at the local police station, where an officer was nice enough to drive us to the Nottingham town line. We ran the rest of the way in the dark and ended up with 16 miles instead of 13. Would have been closer to 20 (and much darker) without the ride.

I have been back countless times since, either running, geocaching, orienteering, or just hiking to the fire tower. I still haven't visited Middle Mountain, but I am comfortable saying I know the place like the back of my hand. Shaw Trail, Fundy Trail, Mountain Road, North Mountain, boat launch, Round Pond, Devil's Den... all seems pretty straightforward to me now.

One key when you're there is to never "bend the map".

Yep, add me to the disoriented list. Herd paths on the North Mt. Bypass got me twice. Got out by backtracking.

I agree that the online map is lousy, too.

There are two worse places, IMHO: the Manchester-Essex Woods and Georgetown Rowley SF. Got pretty lost in them and had to bushwhack my way out.

Good character building, though.

Marty