Helmets.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I routinely wear a helmet when climbing the steeper slides in the Adirondacks and have seen a post here recently regarding the wearing of a helmet while hiking.

This isn't me but you get the idea.

http://adkhighpeaks.com/neil/outdoor pursuits/gothics nf/Labour Day_05 09 09_0699.jpg

I don't think I would wear one while doing even the toughest marked trails in either the Dacks or the Whites.

But, I was wondering where the border lies. For instance, after reading Leaf's gully trip report I would love to hit those gullies this summer. I wonder whether wearing my helmet would be a good idea or not.

Is there a protocol or consensus on this subject?

I use what I like to call the "Can and Do Fall On Rocks" (CARe-FOR) guide for when I should wear a brain bucket. The idea is that you should CARe-FOR your head!

Basically, if I'm doing a activity where I "Can and Do Fall On Rocks", I put on a helmet.

Mtn Biking - Helmet
Road Biking - No Helmet
Climbing - Helmet
Skiing - No Helmet
Caving - Helmet (a little different - rocks can fall on me!)
Kayaking - No Helmet
Base Jumping - Helmet
Running on the Beach - No Helmet

But keep in mind, this is just my CARe-FOR scale. I encourage everyone to make their own! For example, if you are the kind of person that "Can and Do Fall on Rocks" while hiking, wearing a helmet while trekking is probably a good option.

Of course this isn't a perfect system. If I were to strictly interpret this rule, I would have to wear a helmet while tailgating at Patriots games. Anyway, I hope this starts a good conversation and helps everyone "Care For" their head a little bit more!

For skiing and mountain biking (or even casual road bicycling), I always wear a helmet.

When I'm traveling on my own two feet sans skis, my boundary is when there is
1) sufficient rockfall danger to warrant wearing a helmet, or
2) possibility of slipping/falling and wracking my noggin against a ledge.

This is pretty darn infrequent on the east coast, though I wore a helmet for some class-4 hikes out west, or even areas that went beneath crumbly cliffy areas (e.g. Elk Mtns., CO).

Another situation that would make me wear a helmet was climbing/hiking a slab or slide that had a regular hiking trail somewhere above it, where someone could inadvertently dislodge a rock. There are areas in the northeast that certainly fit that bill (e.g. Franconia Ridge).

This time of year, with the freeze/thaw cycle in place, there will be more rockfall danger, especially if climbing a snow gully somewhere in the Prezzies.

Helmet!

I wear a helmet a lot more than I thought.

mtb - yes - no-brainer!

road bike - yes, I've had friends who have had their lives saved by their helmet. Hitting a guardrail or just going off the road due to a mechanical (flat tire). One actually went off the road, hit a telephone pole and that was the end. I have crashed, flipped and landed on my head also. Somehow someone got a photo of me diving into the pavement.

skiing - yes, others have hit me and there are trees out there; also it is relatively hi-speed.

I must admit that it has never occurred to me that a helmet would be necessary while slide climbing.....maybe if I went w/ others?

Unless I have things falling on my head or I am doing an activity of high speed (bike or ski) then no.
Hiking around? If you slip you'd probably break a wrist or your clavicle first trying to stop a fall before you hit your head - although you could pass out while taking a tough dump and hit your head because you are unconscious.

Climbing helmets are rated for impact from above anyway, I could still fall and hit the side of my head by my ears or the back of my head (the occiput) while wearing a climbing helmet.

I haven't done the Huntington Ravine trail in the Summer so I don't know how much loose stuff gets kicked down from hikers - or how much traffic it really sees.
And as for the winter gullies in Huntington - don't know how much fun those would be in Summer. I did one of them in the off-season and it was just an off-vertical climb on wet and mossy rock with some shrubs thrown in. I wouldn't bother with a helmet in there unless you trick someone into doing them with you and they are climbing above you :)

Last edited:
The only time I've worn a helmet while hiking was on Rainier. It was required by the guide service while on the glaciers. I have to admit that it was no trouble at all. The helmet has been in the bag in my gear closet since I got home.

I wear one when skiing, mainly because I want my kids to wear one. Again it really is very comfortable and don't see any reason not to wear it.

I wear one while cycling. It is required when participating in group rides in the three cycling groups I participate with. I believe it reduced the severity of my injuries from my bike crash in 2008.

I suffer a lot of minor "headhunter" injuries while hiking. Maybe I should start using it. I cannot think of any down side to wearing it while hiking.

It's funny how the whole safety thing has gone full ying-yang in the past few decades. I can remember when i was younger that it was in vogue, almost sheik to have a head or brain injury. ME and my friends enjoyed that strange copper or blood taste you'd get in your mouth after gettting a good whap on the head. In fact, while playing street hockey we'd purposely skate, head first, into the LIRR underpasses (concrete!) and knock ourselves down. It represented not only a degree of toughness but also artistic ability. It was easy for parents to dismiss the effects back then as well: "Matt's gotten into my marijuana stash" or "he's probably just not feeling well..." were common rationalizations parents would give to explain away strange behavior. For the most part my parents were strict so I'd hide the slurred speech as best as possible,

Now days we're told you can't hurt your head like that but truth be told, I don't oftentimes hit my head on things so I haven't taken much time to try and protect it. I'd wear a helmet on my bicycle if I had one. I don't really climb or do other activities. I firuge if I hit my head hard enoug hiking that my brains somehow pour out of my skull, the rest of my body might be going through some pretty traumatic changes as well so it's never really dawned on me to wear a helmet. PRobably won't change my mind either. But hey, wear a helmet whenever you feel comfortable.

-Dr. Wu

I don't own bikes or motorcycles anymore and don't do any serious climbing as of yet. I always wore a helmet on motorcycles and snowmobiles, dirt or street. Never on bicycles when we were young, invincible and all that. Wore one for about one week when logging for over a dozen years, didn't like the way it altered the sounds around me. You could hear a widow-maker but not be certain of the direction the noise came from. Yes, Sherpa, I logged for years but am still not Logger Dave or Lager Dave!;)

My kid brother died from taking a ride in a car with a bimbo drunk on Yukon Jack, his only injury was one hit between the eyes and a motorcycle helmet could have made the difference. And yes I have donned my motorcycle helmet in a race car as well as in a road vehicle with someone I didn't trust for a big hint.

My son has PCS - post concussion syndrome from an injury on pavement off a bicycle when he was twelve with a helmet on! Some of you have met Michael and by all respects you would not know the anguish he has faced over the last eight years trying to learn and succeed at things we take for granted. It effects vision, small motor skills, short term and long term memory, causes severe migrain head aches and also severve anxiety and depression issues. Schools don't like to deal with specificly geared material and will label someone with learning difficulties as lazy so they, the teachers, don't have to do extra work. If you have kids or young relatives, lead by example and do what is appropriate while your brain is working clearly. Go with a quality helmet for bicycles that also covers the back of the head and will be something they choose and like, then pray it works if they crash to spare them years of dispair! From a parent with a twenty year-old in high school that has the guts to keep trying! Wait til he starts dealing with life after high school and damn good thing the big guy is good natured! Sorry bout the rant but he's one of my heros even if he's not running peaks!;)

Neil - Please excuse my going off this as per hiking topics!

Last edited:
Chomp, excellent post.

I use what I like to call the "Can and Do Fall On Rocks" (CARe-FOR) guide for when I should wear a brain bucket.

:confused: How about "Can Actually REally Fall On Rocks" ? Otherwise you get CAD FOR. ;)

Skiing - No Helmet

I'd disagree

For example, if you are the kind of person that "Can and Do Fall on Rocks" while hiking, wearing a helmet while trekking is probably a good option. !

Been there. Worn that.

P1010093.JPG

I wear one while cycling.

Good thing, too. ;)

I suffer a lot of minor "headhunter" injuries while hiking. Maybe I should start using it. I cannot think of any down side to wearing it while hiking.

The only "downside" is that they might be warmer than you'd want. That and maybe looking like someone who "needs" a helmet :rolleyes: ...vanity prevents rational decissions all the time.

I won't wear this helmet hiking but I do tend to wear it several hours a week. It is one of my most important pieces of equipment. I also wear a helmet climbing rock and ice, skiing and bike riding.
3508565385_883fdd2d63.jpg

The right helmet for the task

Though my climbing experience is limited to top roping it's my understanding that the tradional climbing/mountaneering helmet is designed to protect from an object falling on you from above, rather than from you falling and banging your head on the gound. A helmet to protect you better from a fall might be one of the newer multi-sport helmets or, though quite warm in the summer, a ski helmet.

The Kong Scarab is rated for climbing, biking, and water sports, which, I assume, means kayaking in the surf or rivers.

Wow - that one seems to be at least 50-75% more expensive than a typical climbing helmet, but I guess if it's kayak compatible and you only need one, instead of two, helmets then you'll still come out ahead.

I've not worn a helmet in the WMNF of NH, but on climbs like Rainer, Shasta, etc.

Now that most of my hiking is in the west, I find I usually wear it on hikes/climbs requiring crampons and an axe. It's a bit of a PITA as it interferes with sunglasses, gives you terminal hat hair, etc but figure it's benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

The east has some steep slopes, like the west, but mostly the difference is that the east tends to be heavily forested, so a slip means you'd likely hit brush/trees within a few feet. Of course, there are exceptions, but for me mostly boils down to how far/fast will I slip before running into an obstruction.