Mount Marshall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
September 24th and 25th I will be hiking into the Flowed Lands or Lake Colden and setting up camp. On the 24th I will be hiking Marshall and my question is.......I hear there are some views if you look for them. If it is a crappy day and foggy/rainy is it still a good idea to hike t his mountain? Or are the views just ok that I would not be missing much? If the weather is going to be bad for that weekend I was thinking about doing street and Nye knowing that there is nothing great about the summits.

Also if the weekend is good on the 25th we were thinking about doing Gray and Skylight. I have hiked these before and on a clear day skylight is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet:D Also if anyone is interested in joining us your more than welcome. We are slow to moderate hikers :)

ADAM

I hiked Marshall last month on a typical Adirondack weather day -- we got poured on, had sun for a couple hours, then gradual grey mist. There are some awesome views of Iroquois from a couple ledges before the summit. If you poke around the summit you get some views also. Nowhere near the views of Skylight, but better than Nye.

If you hike up Herbert Brook, the slide could be a little slick if it's rainy, but nothing to be too concerned about -- just watch your step. Herbert Brook is very pretty though.

I hiked this mountain in July in the fog and rain. It was still a pretty hike even with the weather. The group I was with didn't miss the views. I do plan on hiking again in the winter.

Its best not to plan on the weather and views in the dacks. I hiked 13 peaks this summer and only had real views from three of them - Cliff, Redfield and Haystack. I had partial views from Hough and Dix.

Marshall is a beautiful peak no matter what the weather. We went on a cloudy day to be greated by a mossy slide. The views at the top were somewhat obscured, but still worth the trip. I will visit Marshall again sometime.

-percious

P.S. Make sure you bring a bear container to Colden. The bears there are pesky little buggers.

Adam,

I was not expecting much on Marshall. I found the view to be wonderfull. It's a very unique trip up and I would say the views are VERY UNDERATED. There are descent views in a few directions, from 3 seperate ledges.

Certainly, I'd call it a nice weather hike. The views from Street are good to, but IMHO, not quite as good as Marshall.

Well hell, don't take my word for it, take a peek yourself ;).

DCP_3467.sized.jpg

and

DCP_3454.sized.jpg

Mavs, Is that 2nd picture Iroquois from Marshall And do you have any others. Close-ups?

Tim, I have no idea where you found that Marcy/Colden view. I followed every path up there and never saw that! :(

I hiked Marshall over Labour Day weekend. It was overcast the whole trip, even foggy but it was still awesome.

You follow a brook pretty much the whole way. The scenery made me feel like i was hiking in a jungle rain forest. It was so misty and foggy and since I started the climb at 5:30pm nobody else was on the trail.

Bagging #15 for me made it all worth while.

S.

stoopid said:
Tim, I have no idea where you found that Marcy/Colden view. I followed every path up there and never saw that! :(

Kevin, may I submit to you my friend, you MUST NOT HAVE ;).

Actually it's in my -TRIP REPORT-. Here is the passage.
As you head up the final 300-350 feet on the upper mountains, the trees will begin to thin as they generally do up high. If you turn around and look behind you, you will notice the prominent rise (from earlier) and also the bald, towering cone of Iroquois. There will also be some limited views of Whiteface and the Lake Placid area beyond Iroquois. Like many summit approaches, it’s pretty steep, but will eventually begin to level out near the top. Once it does level out, look for paths to the left. This path will NOT lead you to the summit but it will lead to a beautiful 180 degree viewing ledge.

:) Haven't we discussed this before :) You know I'm just teasing................... right.

mavs00 said:
:) Haven't we discussed this before :) You know I'm just teasing................... right.

Yeah, we did and I thought I found the ledge...

Read your report, I missed the best views... oh well, I'll probably be back someday soon :).

Last edited:
1ADAM12 quote: "How tough is the bushwack over to Iroquois from Marshall?"

We did this bushwhack once in winter as a convenient way to get Marshall from Iroquois. We had pretty good snow conditions and it went quite well. There's a pretty steep wall (25-30 ft.) that you'll encounter just before the east-west trail in the col between these major peaks. I think the direction you mention above would be VERY difficullt (check elevations and distances on a map).

Last edited: