Skookumchuk trailhead to OBP/Falling Waters trailhead - by bike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobC

Reaction score
Is it possible to ride a bike from the Skookumchuk trailhead to the northern part of the Franconia Notch bike path? I know where the Skookumchuk trailhead is from driving past it many times, but I don't know if it's possible to reach the northern part of the bike path without getting on the highway. Basically, I guess I just don't know where the northern end of the bike path is.

Also, am I crazy for thinking of taking a bike down that path back to the OBP trailhead? I've read some reports that it's crazy steep. Does anyone know what the mileage is between trailheads?

Thanks everyone.

Chip, I actually did do a search for this info and found that site you linked to, I just couldn't figure if the northern terminus of the path was at the Skook trailhead - even with the map provided. Thanks for confirming, Doug.

And Mohammed, how could I not think to go to your site, I use it all the time for White Mountains info. ;)

Last edited:
The bike path is VERY hilly!!!! I figured it would be like a rail trail. NOT SO!!! But it is very nice and scenic!!!!

I definitely suggest riding your bike back down to OBP. At no point are you on the highway. Make sure you have good brakes on you bike and watch out for animals in the bike path.

I've ridden my bike on that path several times. It is mostly a downhill glide from Skook to OBP with one noteworthy climb. As others have said, beware of pedestrians; I usually announce myself if I approach them from behind.
-vegematic

I did a loop hike up greenleaf trail and down skook with a bike spot at skook trailhead. The bike trail had more uphill than I expected at the end of the day, but I survived.

Easier way

You can avoid the big up and down if you take the old road, rather than the bike path to the route 18 exit from I93. Then cross over the bridge and get on the bike path.

The bike path and old road run together close to the trail head. The bike path diverges to the right when heading south. The old road is little used and suitable for almost any biker.

I call bull5#1^ on the phrase at what was described as a 60 mph speed. Coming down 101, eastbound, from Temple/Pack Monadnock I can routinely break 50 MPH, likewise Chestnut Hill in Amherst, Center Road in Lyndborough, Pead Hill, etc., but my top speed is 57 MPH in a full tuck on straight and smooth pavement. I think I outweigh most 10-year-olds. Even the Tour de France pros in the Alps don't regularly exceed 60 MPH.

I'm gonna have to ride the bike path now and see just how fast I can get going - with someone to monitor the crossing for safety, of course.

Tim

I call bull5#1^ on the phrase at what was described as a 60 mph speed. Coming down 101, eastbound, from Temple/Pack Monadnock I can routinely break 50 MPH, likewise Chestnut Hill in Amherst, Center Road in Lyndborough, Pead Hill, etc., but my top speed is 57 MPH in a full tuck on straight and smooth pavement. I think I outweigh most 10-year-olds. Even the Tour de France pros in the Alps don't regularly exceed 60 MPH.

I'm gonna have to ride the bike path now and see just how fast I can get going - with someone to monitor the crossing for safety, of course.

Tim

Wow, 57 mph....my top speed was on a back road in Candia when I was 15 yrs old....43 mph, and I felt like I was going to get thrown off my bike. It felt like I was going 100 mph.

Bringing a bike is a good idea for a trip like that. Like others have said, just watch for other tourists.

Like others have said, just watch for other tourists.

I generally avoid bike paths like the plague because they are not safe to travel on at the speeds at which I routinely travel. There is an exception, of course, Mine Falls Park, which I cut through on my commute, and only because there are only so many bridges over the Nashua River.

Tim

I've done a few of these in NH including a a Cannon & Lonesome hike/bike ride, riding down to Lafayette place to start. I've done one in the Catskills & in MA also. It's usually easier to spot the car & ride to the beginning of teh hike in the Am before all the pedestrians or day time traffic for trips on roads. (of course better downhill biking - I did spot my bike at PNVC & ride it back to 19 Mile when I did the Wildcats)

Riding down 16 was fast enough for a former bike rider who now only rides on flat rides at the shore or with young kids.

That said, I want to do a trip where I leave a car at C-Notch & ride down to the Webster Cliff. This looks like it may generate more speed on a bike than an almost 50 year old wants. (Should have done this when I was 20!) Maybe I'd be better off hitch-hiking or hooking up for a car spot

Crawford Notch (heading southeast) is a wicked fun descent. I can break 50MPH there without too much effort. It's pretty darn fast all the way to Bartlett! Kinsman Notch into Easton is likewise fast and likewise fun. The hairpin is rather hair-raising on a bicycle.

Tim