Canine Four Thousand Footer Awards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think this is what you were looking for, but for what it's worth, Lauky will be there, but not for the award. As you know he received that last year. He's just coming to see his "friends" and to cheer for Terra of course.

Three cheers for Terra, what a great trail dog.:)

Just curious...what does a dog get? My deceased dog completed them, and I never did anything with making it official (nor myself for that matter). Just wondered what the award is for a dog. Is it a patch?

Just curious...what does a dog get? My deceased dog completed them, and I never did anything with making it official (nor myself for that matter). Just wondered what the award is for a dog. Is it a patch?

I think the "patch" is forever in your heart and it's called "love".

I think the "patch" is forever in your heart and it's called "love".

Amen, Maddy.

I thought we'd send in for a patch when we finished, but you are right. I discovered no piece of fabric could match what we shared. It's one of the reasons we bypassed it. After all, the patch didn't mean anything to Atticus.

There is one other reason.

I think it is silly for the 4,000 Footer Committee, as much as I respect many of its board members, to differentiate between dogs in winter and in the rest of the year. As they see it, dogs (after Brutus) should not be recognized for finishing the winter peaks. They deem it too dangerous. However, they are recognized for the all-season. The fact that only Brutus had hiked the winter peaks when they made their decision (as compared to the 70 or so dogs who had done them in all the seasons) proved that the season itself limited the risk and dog owners were pretty responsible about when to take their dogs out in winter. (Then again, I'm not sure any of the members of the committee hike regularly with a dog for if they did they might see things differently. They certainly haven't hiked extensively in winter with their dogs.)

From what I've seen for the last four years we've been hiking, far more dogs are put at risk in spring, summer and fall than in winter.

I decided not to go for a scroll and a patch for the all season or the winter for myself if Atticus could not receive the same recognition. We are, after all, a team and every peak I've climbed he has climbed.

In the end it was just as well. For what Maddy said rings more true than. Besides we had not started hiking for a patch and scroll but simply for the love of it. We continue hiking for the same reason.

I don't think it's wrong for anyone to want a patch or scroll for themselves or their dogs, but it's not for us. Over the years I've come to see recognition from the committee as an external accomplishment where the best reward the Little Bug and I share is an internal one. It is that of friendship, loyalty, love and shared joy and shared experiences. Can't seem to find a patch that equals or even comes close to expressing that.

Last edited:
I agree about the summer v. winter thing. My dog's toughest hikes were on hot July days along the Presi's than any winter she did. Admittedly, she only did about 30 or so in the winter (I didn't really keep track).

And, Maddy, that was how I felt, and still do! I was curious is all, but the picture of my dog's rear-end bounding up the trail, or her tongue-wagging face waiting around the next corner, are things I will never forget.

Congratulations to those who do. No disprespect intended.

I think it is silly for the 4,000 Footer Committee, as much as I respect many of its board members, to differentiate between dogs in winter and in the rest of the year. As they see it, dogs (after Brutus) should not be recognized for finishing the winter peaks. They deem it too dangerous.

Now that is about the silliest thing I've read in awhile. I have MANY skier friends with pooches who would laugh out loud at the idea that taking a dog out in winter is dangerous. Sounds like people who don't know too much about dogs.

But back to the original reason for this thread--congrats Terra! :D

I never set out to earn a patch for Terra. She had accompanied me on hundreds of miles of backpacking throughout NE, the US and Canada; hiked with me over hill and dale. Biked with me, walked with me, and in her own way talked with me. She's my little buddy and constant companion and I am grateful every day that she is in my life. Those with dogs know, there is just no limit to the devotion in thier hearts and that to me is their most endearing trait.

When we worked on the ADK46, there were a bunch of peaks she didn't do, for reasons of my concern for her safety and for reasons of land ownership and regulations. People who hiked with us both there and in NH often ask, "how many peaks does Terra have?".

So, at some point, I decided to add them up, and realized she was just a few shy from a round of the NH Four Thousand Footers. Last year when I was at the AMC Awards, I had the pleasure of seeing many canines and humans alike recieve thier patches and scrolls. Sure, they are just patches and certificates, but the collective joy and acknowledgement that we all shared was magic. And they symbolize something for the people who have earned them. And that sealed it for me, I decided, sure, why not? Terra deserves to join in the celebration, too.

On the winter patch thing, I really have to say that its the AMCs club and their rules and they are entitled to make them and stand by them. Its not as though they are a club or organization that is devoted to dogs and dog sport, like the AKC, or any other number of organizations that exist. The AMC doesn't know anything about dogs, and I think they are merely stating that they do not want to encourage winter hiking with dogs by offering patches for what they perceive are reasons of safety. That's their decision and they are entitled to it. And since it sounds like those who are hiking with dogs here in winter don't have any need for a patch, I guess its a mute point!! :p

There are some group leaders (non AMC and AMC alike) who I personally know do not want dogs on *certain* hikes they lead in winter. I would have to agree that their are situations in winter conditions that I do not wish to expose my own dog too -- for example, crossing wide, icy snow fields. This is my personal decision and I make it as one of safety. Romping in soft snow on bluebird days is another story. That's just plain fun. :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone and thier pups tomorrow night! Sorry if my post turned into a dissertation!

Now that is about the silliest thing I've read in awhile. I have MANY skier friends with pooches who would laugh out loud at the idea that taking a dog out in winter is dangerous. Sounds like people who don't know too much about dogs.

I couldn't disagree more. Skiing with dogs IS more often than not irresponsible, due to it's dangerous nature. Dog legs and metal edges do not mix well.

Congratulations to Terra and any other doggies who have made the "48K-nine" club!
Congratulations to "their people" too!
Enjoy tonight.
Sandy

Just asking...

There is one other reason.

I think it is silly for the 4,000 Footer Committee, as much as I respect many of its board members, to differentiate between dogs in winter and in the rest of the year. As they see it, dogs (after Brutus) should not be recognized for finishing the winter peaks. They deem it too dangerous. However, they are recognized for the all-season. The fact that only Brutus had hiked the winter peaks when they made their decision (as compared to the 70 or so dogs who had done them in all the seasons) proved that the season itself limited the risk and dog owners were pretty responsible about when to take their dogs out in winter. (Then again, I'm not sure any of the members of the committee hike regularly with a dog for if they did they might see things differently. They certainly haven't hiked extensively in winter with their dogs.)

I'm curious about this: is the presumed danger from the cold? I guess they haven't watched the Iditarod, hey? But to be fair, sled dogs spend all their time outside and their coats get remarkably thick. I am not a dog owner and I'm not trying to start a flame here: I'm simply asking for information from experienced dog/human winter hiking pairs. If your dog is an "inside dog" do they develop a sufficient coat in winter to adequately protect them?

- Tony

Be the hike

So I think K-9 hikers have the right attitude. They don't care about patches or what number they are on; they don't care about who did it fastest or the most. They hike for the sheer love of being outside climbing with their beloved humans. What a great attitude!

On the other hand, many of them seem to worry far too much about who was the last to piddle on that stump....

I'm curious about this: is the presumed danger from the cold? I guess they haven't watched the Iditarod, hey? But to be fair, sled dogs spend all their time outside and their coats get remarkably thick. I am not a dog owner and I'm not trying to start a flame here: I'm simply asking for information from experienced dog/human winter hiking pairs. If your dog is an "inside dog" do they develop a sufficient coat in winter to adequately protect them?

- Tony

My lab = great winter dog. Thick, black coat and tons of energy. I'd put a vest on her occasionally, and boots most of the time. She would camp in the winter with me.

My redbone coonhound = completely useless winter dog. Thin hair, bald belly, and huge ears. She needs a full winter fleece jacket and boots all the time in the winter.

Some breeds are made for the winter, or can handle it, and some can't. I presume the committee restricts it to discourage winter canine hiking, as there a different layer of precaution. It can take a lot out of them.

Summer, to me, at times can be just as dangerous for a dog than the winter, IMO.

I'm curious about this: is the presumed danger from the cold? I guess they haven't watched the Iditarod, hey? But to be fair, sled dogs spend all their time outside and their coats get remarkably thick.

I have a sled dog, and their coats don't get a thick as one would think.

But what she does have is incredibly thick and insulating, especially her undercoat. She can tolerate temps as low as -10 without any problems or need for extra layers. She might be able to handle even colder temps, but we haven't experienced anything lower. She lives outside 24/7/365 and while she likes the "idea" of indoor living - the novelty fades after about 10 or 20 minutes when she gets overheated and anxious and begs to be let outside. I wouldn't hesitate to bring her into the whites, properly equipped, to attempt the 48. She generally doesn't have problems with snow balling in her fur or on her paws, she's been bred to hydrate on the run by constantly eating snow (that's not to say we don't stop for water breaks, we still do) and along with her tolerance for cold is her ability to work for extended periods of time without much rest, which is often an advantage in cold-weather travel when breaks are kept short to avoid chilling.

Contrast our husky's coat to that of our sheltie (a close breed-cousin to Miss Terra).

I would not be as quick to bring this dog on a winter round of the 48. His tolerance for cold is good, but not as good as the husky. And the logistical problems with coat-care could ruin his day (and mine) very quickly if we encounter snow that readily balls in his coat and in his paws. Not only is this uncomfortable, he could end up toting around almost 25% of his weight or more in snowballs.

I'm not saying my sheltie couldn't do it... Doing it would require more ideal conditions and more vigilance on my part to be sure he's comfortable. And I agree that summer hiking can be just as dangerous in regards to overheating and dehydration.

On the other hand, many of them seem to worry far too much about who was the last to piddle on that stump....
With the husky's dominant (alpha-dog) personality she feels the need to mark every spot on the trail that has been scented by another dog.

Here's a picture of our #1 trail dog getting her award.

007-3.jpg

A hearty congratulations to Miss Terra on her "outstanding achievement"! Nice pic!

...and to all the other pups and hikers who received their award.

Hope you all had a wonderful fun evening and good "pup party food" to.

:cool::):D

Awww.....gee...thanks! Terra had a great time meeting all the kids and grown ups. It was fun to make her little flower Tiara and I think there were still some flowers left by the end of the evening. :p

What a fun night!! And thanks to everyone who took pictures -- I really appreciate it!

A big props out to everyone from VfTT/RoT who got awards this year!! I felt like I knew everyone at the awards, and my voice is hoarse from all the cheering I did.

Great fun. :)