Alex featured on The Kitchen Sisters' "The Hidden World of Girls" (NPR)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Warning: Proud Parent Post ahead...there, you've been warned...:)

The Kitchen Sisters of NPR are currently doing a wonderful series on strong young women, entitled "The Hidden World of Girls: Girls and the Women They Become." I phoned in our story and they chose to put Alex on page two of their "Feature" section.

http://www.kitchensisters.org/girlstories/7-year-old-mountain-climber/

EDITED TO ADD:

I must make a correction -- on the website, I am quoted as saying that Alex is the youngest girl to finish the NH48. Turns out I am wrong -- she is the second youngest girl (I found this out at the AMC awards ceremony tonight).

This doesn't make any difference to Alex or to me, but I certainly don't want to propagate false information. I've called in the correction to NPR, and I've left a comment in the comments section (though the comments are moderated and therefore my statement might take a few days to show up).

Sorry for my mistake!

Last edited:
Nice!!

Did Alex ever write down any of her adventures? I mean, some teenager doing the seven summits is impressive, but what Alex accomplished at her age is very, very impressive. It would make quite a story and be very inspiring to girls, boys & anyone who reads it.

Joe.

Good on ya, Trish! And Alex, 'natch....

Unfortunately, I can't listen to the story at work (thanks to my I.T. Gestapo :rolleyes:) but I'll check it out from home over the weekend.

Congratulations!!! Strong work Alex. You did good. No, not good, you did GREAT!

Thanks, everyone! It's nice to see her in the feature section. I'm hoping they'll want to go further with this...I think they pick a few stories and explore them in more detail later in the year. We would LOVE to hike with The Kitchen Sisters, so I'm hoping they contact us...we could take them up a nice peak or two.

Dr. D, not sure if that's from Three Cups of Tea. Artwork looks familiar though. WIll check it out.

Averagejoe, sent you a pm.

Ed, I wasn't aware she had an accent...guess that means I have an accent too..? :)

From Alex:

Thank you. You're very sweet. I'm very grateful. It was funny to hear myself on the website. Love, Alex

Last edited:
Ed, I wasn't aware she had an accent...guess that means I have an accent too..? :)

From Alex:

Thank you. You're very sweet. I'm very grateful. It was funny to hear myself on the website. Love, Alex

Take it from someone who has lived overseas half his life, we all have an accent. It's just that if everyone around us sounds like us we just say that those who are different 'have the accent.'

When my son was about the age of Alex and we came back here from France on a visit he sounded like Maurice Chevalier when he spoke English. That accent is gone now.

Anyway, I loved hearing Alex on that clip. Hope it leads to something more as you said.

Take it from someone who has lived overseas half his life, we all have an accent.

And you don't have to go far in the northeast to figure that out. Travel from Providence to Boston to Bangor to Halifax, NS and interact with people from each location. The difference is more than subtle.

When I was a little older than Alex a group of teenagers at Ethan Pond shelter asked me if I was from Boston, so yes the regional accent develops at a young age. I'm still wicked guilty of droppin' my ahhs.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the sound clip but it's on my to-do list for Saturday morning.

Pretty cool. Kelly & Isidora say so too.

Alex's accomplishments, and your own as the facilitating parent, are inspiring.

Congrats Alex and Trish! Can't wait to see you two tomorrow!

Alex, You are so grown up and as fun as your age at the same time! I would love to see you running a press conference sometime, I feel you would handle it better than our present commander in chief. And seriously, with your ambitions and smarts we may be voting you into that job someday!;)

I grew up near Baltimore, then lived in various places overseas, also in Chicago, NYC, and Boston. People have told me I've managed to escape settling into any one particular regional accent. Therefore, since Alex is homeschooled and spends many hours with me, it surprises me to hear her drop her "r"s sometimes. I don't think she gets that from me, or Hugh, or any of her playmates...strange.

Anyway, we are looking forward to seeing you too, Ed, and everyone else who will be at the ceremony tomorrow. Good times.

DaveBear, thanks. You are such a supportive fellow -- you always make the time to write and/or show up to support everyone else's goals and accomplishments. You have a big heart. And, of course, you're great company. We're lucky to have shared a hike with you.

mirabela, thanks for the kind words. We look forward to your next TR, and to hopefully seeing you and Isidora again soon.

I went on the Kitchen Sisters site and left a message. I loved listening to Alex's voice!! How wonderful for her!!! Thanks for sharing.
Karen

Congratulations Alex!
I hope to meet you (and your mom) someday!
You are one awesome kid!
Sandy