Alex featured on The Kitchen Sisters' "The Hidden World of Girls" (NPR)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful

Warning: Proud Parent Post ahead...there, you've been warned...:)

The Kitchen Sisters of NPR are currently doing a wonderful series on strong young women, entitled "The Hidden World of Girls: Girls and the Women They Become." I phoned in our story and they chose to put Alex on page two of their "Feature" section.

http://www.kitchensisters.org/girlstories/themes/featured/page/2/

I simply loved hearing her tell of her accomplishment and it was wonderful to hear the pride in her voice. (Way to go MOM!)

- Solitary

Thanks Solitary, Trainwreck, and Cymbidium! Cymbidium, I really appreciate your leaving a message. :)

I must make a correction -- on the website, I am quoted as saying that Alex is the youngest girl to finish the NH48. Turns out I am wrong -- she is the second youngest girl (found out at the AMC awards ceremony tonight).

This doesn't make any difference to Alex or to me, but I certainly don't want to propagate false information. I've called in the correction to NPR, and I've left a comment in the comments section (though the comments are moderated and therefore my statement might take a few days to show up).

Sorry for my mistake!

Last edited:
Oversite

Trish: Great seeing you and your family at the awards,and how about that standing "O" for Alex. She desrved every bit of applause as did you!.
Don't apologize one bit it was only a small oversite on your part and only 5 months at that.I do not believe there is a single person on VFTT that is concerned about it."You done good girl".

Here she is, "The Little Princess" and the "Queen Mother."

009.jpg

Hal, thanks. By the way, we're working on Trailwrights next (in addition to the NH winter 4Ks). We're not in a rush to complete that list (either list, really) -- we look forward to many years of relaxed peakbagging and quite a few weeks of trailwork. :)

Ed -- thanks for getting that shot! How did I not notice you standing there? I thought Hugh was the only one who was close enough to get a picture. Thank you for taking it and posting it.

Ed -- thanks for getting that shot! How did I not notice you standing there? I thought Hugh was the only one who was close enough to get a picture. Thank you for taking it and posting it.

Actually, I wasn't standing there, I was sitting there right on the aisle. When Alex came down Mohamed walked right up next to me and I just snapped the picture.

congrats! We have followed your trip reports and are amazed at your accomplishments. Like averagejoe said, start writing a book and looking for publishers. Maybe Alex can become rich, retire at an exceptionally early age and hike for the rest of her life!:D

John

Thanks, everyone. I am extremely proud of Alex -- but even more than that, I am grateful to have such a cool hiking partner.

It seems that the NH4Ks were only the beginning. Alex now wants to do the Trailwrights list, and of course she wants to finish the winter NH4Ks. She also wants to do show her father the NH4Ks, so she will begin another round of that list this summer...this time, with Hugh. I am hoping the two of them will remember to take pictures so I can post their trip reports for them.

Sage wants to finish the 52WAV, camp out as much as possible, and visit Bald Mountain about a hundred million times. :)

Both girls want to stand on top of all the Class 1, 2, and 3 United States highpoints.

The years ahead of us look very bright. I am fortunate to have two kids who want to get out there as much as I do -- and I am grateful to Hugh, who supports our endeavors 100%.

Life is good.

Future.

:)Alex: I am humbled that you want to do the 72s.It will open up new adventures for you. take your time and ENJOY.
Sage:Trailwrights will do our best to maintain YOUR trail to Bald mtn.just for you.
Last: Doing the State Hi points will really be an adventure for you all.Peg and I have completed 43 so far and believe me you will really get to see and experience first hand what a great country this is.You are so lucky to have these opportunities. We have traveled by auto and many are drive ups. Our best wishes go with you.