Palenville outlook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I was on this trail and saw some birds floating on the air currents, beautiful site. What kind were they, Hawks or Falcons?

Also, at one bend towards the bottom there is a creek bed with huge boulders. Quite a awsome site. The creek goes down to the bridge. How far up does it go and does it intersect with the trail farther up. Looks like it might right arounfd the trail sign for north lake. Next year I thought I might try climbing it.

I was on this trail and saw some birds floating on the air currents, beautiful site. What kind were they, Hawks or Falcons?
I agree with Alan/Peakbagr. Easily 99% of the raptors that you see soaring on the air currents in the Catskills are Turkey Vultures. The undersides of their wings have white tips. While soaring their wings form a wide V (although not a sharp angle). V is for vulture. Whereas the wings of soaring hawks and falcons are more straight.

I have seen both red tailed hawks and Peregrine falcons at the Palenville Overlook, but neither are a common sight there. Both of those species have been known to nest at the Indian Head / Profile Rock just west of the Palenville Overlook. I encountered a Peregrine a couple of times there last year.

Also, at one bend towards the bottom there is a creek bed with huge boulders. Quite a awsome site. The creek goes down to the bridge. How far up does it go and does it intersect with the trail farther up. Looks like it might right arounfd the trail sign for north lake. Next year I thought I might try climbing it.
Were you on the Harding Road Trail (Long Path) out of Palenville or the Mountain Turnpike a bit to the north?

If you were on the Harding Road, then that stream drains "The Gulf". If you climb up the stream and a bit beyond the end, you will eventually intersect the Horse Trail that connects the Harding Road to the short side trail to the Palenville Overlook. BTW the Harding Road was built by one of your 19th century relatives, Edward Dibble. He was under the hire of George Harding, the owner of the Hotel Kaaterskill on top of South Mountain.

If you were on the Mountain Turnpike then the stream drains Rip Van Winkle Hollow. That stream will not intersect a marked trail, but you might detect an unmarked path from the Winter Clove resort that connects with the Mountain Turnpike near a switchback turn.