Anyone interested in some fall hiking in Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pesky

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I am new to this site, but have been a Goner and Alpinezoner for a while. I live in Maine but have been hiking all summer in the whites - Have done quite a few - :p . If anyone is interested in doing something at Baxter or Acadia this fall, please send a reply and we can plan something together. I feel the need to pay homage to the home state. Thanx a million for having me. Pesky:p

I was thinking of doing the Bold coast in Maine. Heard good things. Any views?

Pesky

I was thinking of doing the Bold coast in Maine.

Maine has two very good "public reserve lands" in Washington County: Donnell Pond and Cutler Coast. A variety of trails from 1mi to 9mi long. Great Wass Island (owned by the Nature Conservancy) is another good place to hike.

Get the Cobscook Trails guide. Well worth the price. http://www.quoddyloop.com/forsale/cobscooktrailsguide.htm

wish I could go too but my schedule is too full for another trip to the Maine wilds... :(

Last edited:
There's also Rocky Lake public lands. You can camp there and hike the Cutler Coast trail. I've done that trail several times and it's great.

You can camp on the Cutler Coast trail, but there are only three sites, that don't allow fires, plus I'm not sure of the fresh water situation. At this public land, you can only camp at the designated sites, and there's no way of knowing if they're taken until you've already backpacked in. The trail is only 10 miles anyway, but it would be nice to camp there sometime and listen to the lighthouse horn.

The Dept of Conservation has some very nice, free maps for Donnell Pond, Cutler Coast, and Rocky Lake. Some you may be able to print right off the web page.
park finder

And get the Cobscook trails guidebook, there's lots of other short trails around.

When I head way down east, I hit as many places along the way as I can...Great Wass Island is nice, takes you to this place called the mudhole.

If you're headed that way anyway, I recommend getting smoked salmon in Lubec; if the tide's right, the public landing offers a fun view of seals playing in the surf...Raye's mustard mill in Eastport...a nice basket in Sipayik...a trip on the car ferry over the whirlpool to Deer Isle (Canada) or maybe Campobello.

Reversing Falls in Pembroke is fun...

I could spend weeks there!

If your planning on doing any of the 4K's or other peaks on the Maine 100 highest list let me know. I'd be gald to come along for the fun! I haven't done any Maine hiking at all, so it is all new!!

Tony :cool: :)

Thanks Nadine for the invitation!! I have really not done anything before in Maine. If you are interested, we can set something up mid-week or weekend whatever suits you. I live in Windham so... It seems a lot of people are more interested in the peaks!! Let me know;)

Pesky

AT (Monson to Flagstaff Lake (east end))

I have a group of 9 signed up for this AT section hike. Last chance to join in. If you are interested in joining get in contact with me. It will be a series of dayhikes with car shuttling. First half of trip Mon-Tue. 9/26-9/28, staying at Shaw's in Monson Last half of our trip (3 nights)9/29-10/1 we are staying at Pine Grove Lodge in Pleasant Ridge, ME outside Bingham. There is one zero day built in, so hikes could be pushed back one day if necessary. Those interested in only a couple of day hikes are also welcome. Contact me at: [email protected]

I am also in Maine. I am trying to schedule a weekend backpacking trip right now for Goose Eye Mtn on Sept 9 - 19. It is going to be a short trip with no long miles. Here is my planned agenda:

Day One
I would hike in from the Carlo Col Trail off Success Pond road and meet up with the AT which would be 2.3 miles to Carlo Col shelter and 0.3 miles to the AT. Then I would head north on the AT over Goose Eye Mtn and stopping at Full Goose Shelter for the night making the first day a 6.7 mile day.

Day Two
Leave Full Goose SHelter heading north on the AT hiking 1.5 miles to the entrance of Mahoosuc Notch and exiting the At onto Mahoosuc Notch Trail back to Succus Pond road for 1.9 miles.

Anyone interested let me know?

We (Geri, Cantdog, and myself) are planning a day hike in BSP to bag Coe, N&S Brothers, and Fort the weekend of Oct 2/3 - plan is to drive up on Sat Oct 2nd and stay outside the park. Get an early start on Sunday the 3rd for a day hike. Drive home on Monday the 4th.

Either the next weekend, or the one after we will be doing the Bigelow loop when Cantdog will complete he 100 highest list!!

Late October, Early November we will be doing Goose Eye and other Maine peak in that area - probably one peak per weekend until we hve them knocked off.

Dec - March - weather permitting we will be knocking off the 6-pack peaks leaving the big 2 in BSP until next August when we plan to finsh our 100 highest list on our Anniversary.

All are invited to join us in any of the above.

Attroll - What dates were you looking at, since this is already 9/22? Thanks for the invites guys,I guess because I live in maine I never considered doing overnites, but if this is all I am open to I might have to plan.

Pesky

On the subject of Cutler Coast, the place is beautiful, and I don't think you'd have a problem snagging one of the three campsites this late in the year. The last time I went was 2 years ago, the weekend BEFORE Labor Day, and we had the place to ourselves. It was great.

re: Carlo / Goose Eye -- I've been meaning to hike the section of AT from Goose Eye north to the Mahoosuc Notch trail, also the one between Carlo & the Mt. Success trail... if someone is interested in an 8-9 mile day hike & needs a "partner-in-climb" (pardon the pun), I'd be willing to do either of the following (9/25, 9/26 and 10/17 are my only openings though until next year)

Success Pond Rd -> Mt Carlo Trail -> AT south across the ME/NH border -> Mt Success Trail (with or without the summits, I've been there, Mt Success is better than Mt Carlo, IMHO) -> road

Success Pond Rd -> Goose Eye Trail -> AT north to Mahoosuc Notch trail -> road

(needs a car spot & gotta check the mileage on those.)

re: "Monuments are a Hoax." -- is that an Edward Abbey quote?

Pesky said:
Attroll - What dates were you looking at, since this is already 9/22? Thanks for the invites guys,I guess because I live in maine I never considered doing overnites, but if this is all I am open to I might have to plan.

Pesky

The dates I am planning on doing this are October 9th and 10th.