What's the correct name of that —Moonshine mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
The State Park is Poke-O-Moonshine.

A sign on the premises refers to the mountain itself as Pokamoonshine.

A map—don't recall which one, now—calls the mountain Pokomoonshine.

Or do I have those last two backwards? Whatever, it's still three different spellings. Which is correct?

When we were leaving last Monday, September 6, we saw three climbers about halfway up the cliff. It was past six o'clock, so they were running out of daylight. There weren't any news reports about them, I trust.

Along Route 9, between the state park entrance and the guard rail/cliff-viewing place, we saw our first-ever New York State moose tracks.

As per the US Board of Geographic Names http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form the one in NY is:
Pokamoonshine Mountain with a variant of Poke-a-moon-Shine Mountain

In Maine, it is Pocomoonshine Mountain with variants of Moonshine Mountaink [sic]
Pocamoonshine Mountain
Pokamoonshine Mountain
Poke Moonshine Mountain
Pokeshine Mountain

Last edited:
Two different computers have given me this:

Not Found
The requested URL /pls/gnis/web_query.gnisprod, was not found on this server.

with that link.

Your answer of Pokamoonshine was for the New York mountain? I forgot there was a similarly-named one in Maine. Or several of them, as the case may be.

The brand-new 13th Edition of the High Peaks Guide spells it Poke-O-Moonshine.

Its unusual name apperas to be a derivation of two Algonquin Indian words, "Pohqui" and "Moosie," which mean "broken" and "smooth," respectively.

Pok-O-Moonshine

Sitting on our dock on Long Pond (Willsboro), just west of Camp Pok-O-Moonshine (absolute verified spelling), I am of the mind that the letter "a" has no place in the name of this mountain, and I have little regard for any darn "e" in the Poke!

This, my preferred and only personal spelling of Pok-O-Moonshine, gets 321 hits on Google.

I will confess that the DEC goes with Poke-O-Moonshine, along with about 3,000 others in the Google directory, though many must be for other Poke-Os.

The Pok-A-Moonshine variations seems entirely disfavored, but does come up 55 times on Google.

My question is, How can so many people be so wrong?

No fuzzy search

Raymond, Apparently the site does not do fuzzy searches which is unfortunate. You probably need to know the exact spelling as it appears on the USGS topo.:rolleyes: If you search on Pokamoonshine you will find it.

Still a useful site, and I have bookmarked it. Thanks for posting it Roy.

Sort-of fuzzy search

Raymond, Apparently the site does not do fuzzy searches which is unfortunate. You probably need to know the exact spelling as it appears on the USGS topo.
Actually it uses an implied * wildcard at the end, I found them with "Poc" and "Pok". you can greatly reduce the number of hits if you choose the state and feature class ("summit" in this case).