Thread: Discovering Mt. Major

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.

Discovering Mt. Major

If you're like me, you operate under the impression that if the peak is not over 4000' it doesn't count and isn't worth climbing.

This spring I've made the interesting discovery that there are some magnificent hikes down in the Lakes Region and while others fight with the rotten spring snow, Lauky and I have headed south and had some absolutely outstanding hikes on peaks that far surpass in beauty many of the 4000 footers.

We set off this week on a first time hike of Mt. Major and some of the adjacent peaks. Without a doubt the best views were from Mt. Major but the hike over to Straightback, North Straightback, and East Quarry was outstanding. The account of our trip out to these peaks is written up in our trail conditions report: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35540.

Here I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Even Lauky is awed by the views.

This last picture is of Mt. Major taken from North Straightback.

I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

I was on Major, Straightback and Anna this past Sunday. I had heard that Major was a nice summit (and it was) but was very suprised and how much open space there was on Straightback.

Funny, your post reads like an email I sent Monday to my hiking friends.....

_Thanks to BobC for the beta on this hike, btw...
    Eric

"Therefore we are all, in some sense, mountaineers, and going to the mountains is going home." John Muir

"If you save your breath, I feel a man like you could manage it." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez

All Hiking pix Can be seen here

Racetwitch.com- a worldwide resource for endurance athletes

Nice report Ed. I had been to Mt. Major 4 times before finally deciding to go a little further, so last week I took a trip to Mt. Major, Straightback and Anna. Like you, I've discovered that there are a lot of great hikes out there that are under 4,000 feet.

Allright! It looks like you got a little more exploring done than I was able to do a couple weeks ago when I was on Straightback. Nice pics, esp of the dog. Sometimes I wonder if they like to hike more than us.

There's something I'm curious about. There are twelve official peaks listed with the Belknaps. However, two that I did: North Straightback and East Quarry aren't on the list.

Does anyone know how it's determined what's on the list and what isn't?
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

The "official list" that you can earn a patch from is from the Belknap County Sportsmen's Association
    http://www.belknapsportsmensclub.com/
    These are great little peaks. Belknap is in Scudder's so gives some nice 360 views. Whiteface and Rowe need to be done but...Whiteface is used heavily by 4 wheel drive vehicles so not that great (views ok) and Rowe is just a small peak besides Gunstock (Mtn and Ski area) that is basically an access road up to a radio tower. The traverse over to Gunstock is nice.
    Mack and Klem with Round Pond thrown in are a nice loop. Cool historical stuff in the Quarries. You just need to look around.
    Enjoy
    Ken

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
    Very nice pictures Ed! Also, thanks Ken for the link to the Belknap checklist!
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Quote Originally Posted by KRobi View Post
    The "official list" that you can earn a patch from is from the Belknap County Sportsmen's Association
    http://www.belknapsportsmensclub.com/
    These are great little peaks. Belknap is in Scudder's so gives some nice 360 views. Whiteface and Rowe need to be done but...Whiteface is used heavily by 4 wheel drive vehicles so not that great (views ok) and Rowe is just a small peak besides Gunstock (Mtn and Ski area) that is basically an access road up to a radio tower. The traverse over to Gunstock is nice.
    Mack and Klem with Round Pond thrown in are a nice loop. Cool historical stuff in the Quarries. You just need to look around.
    Enjoy
    Ken
    Thanks for the link. Actually I what I'm trying to find out is how it was determined which of the peaks made the list and for what reason the others were not placed there.

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48 X 6 Ed

Ed,
    Sorry, I misread your original question. The best I came up with was the list of peaks was compiled by Dave Roberts. He has made many of the trail maps available for this region and done photography of the area. http://echoshores.com/Hikes/2008/Rob...ertsPhotos.htm
    As to why these were the chosen peaks, that I cannot find.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    There's something I'm curious about. There are twelve official peaks listed with the Belknaps. However, two that I did: North Straightback and East Quarry aren't on the list.
    Does anyone know how it's determined what's on the list and what isn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by KRobi View Post
    The best I came up with was the list of peaks was compiled by Dave Roberts.
    While Dave has produced the nice maps he didn’t compile the list. The completed list (if sending for the patch) is sent in to Don Watson who is the compiler. Looking at the Belknap County Sportsmen's Association’s website you’ll see some info on him featured in their Feb. 2010 Newsletter (PDF file) Scroll down the newsletter to Members Corner. There you’ll find a link to his website and an email contact. I have never met him in person but have been in touch via email many times. I believe I got the second patch (Dave Roberts most likely received the first one). I never asked why some mountains (East Quarry, North Straightback, Swett) were not included but that shouldn’t stop anyone from visiting them.

You might send him an email and ask.
    I'm just outwalkin....