Mama moose and calf in Pinkham Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
These two were in the bog across from the AMC in Pinkham Notch last Saturday afternoon. They both look nice and healthy and they are nearly tick-free. I saw only a few on mama and none on the calf, who is now 11 months old. Mama looks pregnant.

Thought I'd share a nice moment...

IMG_0698aaa1000.jpg

happy trails :)

they look so cute!!!! great photo-
looking forward to more of your terrific wildlife shots this season

Marty

Good work as usual, FG. If mama is ready to give birth then that calf she's with now is about to become an orphan!

Last edited:
How close were you to them? Last week while cross country skiing I had an encounter with a mama moose and her yearling and she bluff charged me to within 10 feet, they are very protective of their young.

How could you tell they were tick free? Do they carry the same tick as deer? I'll be up that way this weekend; hope to spot them!

How could you tell they were tick free? Do they carry the same tick as deer? I'll be up that way this weekend; hope to spot them!

Moose are plauged by what they call winter ticks. They multiply on the moose all winter long and drain a lot of blood. It's sometimes lethal to smaller moose. They fall off in late spring. This has been a very mild winter for the ticks. :)

Here's the back end of a cow I saw yesterday. If you see bare patches on them in winter it's because they are rubbing against trees to dislodge the ticks.

bchblb.jpg

Here's the back end of a cow I saw yesterday. If you see bare patches on them in winter it's because they are rubbing against trees to dislodge the ticks.

I spent a lot of time chasing muskrats and rabbits with my uncle's dogs. They'd come back with the occasional ticks. My uncle told me if I picked them off the dog I'd have a friend for life ... now, I wonder ....

I spent a lot of time chasing muskrats and rabbits with my uncle's dogs. They'd come back with the occasional ticks. My uncle told me if I picked them off the dog I'd have a friend for life ... now, I wonder ....

Hah! That's funny...no, but I always think about it, especially when I see a calf and I know it's a serious threat.

happy spring :)