Moose are getting active in North Country

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The small bog at the end of my road on Rt 2 in Gorham has had a lot of moose activity in the last few days. Generally when moose show up there, it means that they are active all over the north country. With a nice weekend coming up, its time for the annual reminder to be careful out there when driving up hiking. Given the typical hiker choice of small economy cars, its as much for your safety as it is for the moose.

They can be active all the time but early morning and evening around dusk is when they tend to be moving. There are also a lot of yearling moose that have been displaced by new calves, that just plain dont have it all figured out yet. Remember a moose's typical response to a threat is to stand its place and kick the predator, it probably works well with a wolf but not so well with an subaru.

Last weekend we saw 8 moose between Berlin, NH and Stratton, ME on Rt. 16. 3 of which decided to dart to the opposite side of the road as I approached. Most were young.

Then the other day, same thing driving 113 in Sandwich, NH. Young moose that darts across as you approach. All these sightings were at dusk or just after dark.

BE CAREFUL and use those high beams!!

By the looks at the end of my road while going out to lunch, I think there may be one less moose to hang out in the bog from now on.:( On the side of the road there were lots of fresh skid marks and engine fluids and various remains of the front end of a vehicle immediately adjacent to a spot where moose cross the road.

My father-in-law collided with one on VT Route 12 a couple of weeks ago. He & the driver were both injured (both are OK now).

Like everyone else is saying: be careful out there.