North Pack: 4/24/10 up Ted, down Carolyn, and sit Maggie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
Maggie, the 6 month old, 35-40 lb. chocolate lab has been exploring North Pack since late winter, albeit in small doses. Today was the first day she reached the summit. We hiked up Ted's Trail and down Carolyn's. The trails were in great condition, a little wet and muddy in the usual places, as expected in April. Many thanks to those who cleared the debris. Hiking up along the stream, listening to the water flowing is always delightful, but watching an exuberant puppy thoroughly enjoy immersing herself in the stream is even more fun! Maggie had a blast romping up and down the trails, easily doing twice the mileage I did. Since no one else was on the trail where we were, I let her off leash and rewarded her each time she came when I called. She loved it! She came running at full speed with both ears flapping wildly, tail spinning like a propeller, and tongue watering the flora as her two hind legs bounced in unison on synchronized springs. She ran so fast she passed me and had to turn around and come back. It was like having a batter overrun first base. I've hiked these trails and this mountain many times, but I have never enjoyed it as much as I did today watching her enjoy it so much. With the snow gone, her excitement and enthusiasm for every rock, leaf, stick, root, and smell was contagious. She was in her element, clearly born to hike. Occasionally she slowed her pace and would walk along beside me looking up at me with those big beautiful brown puppy-dog eyes (literally!) hoping I'd give her a treat for heeling so well. How could I refuse? I've seen these trails in every season, dry, wet, muddy, and covered with debris after an ice storm. But seeing them through her eyes today was like seeing them again for the first time. What fun! :)

A very nice report of your day with Maggie. Her curiosity with the surroundings sound like our Maggie, who occasionally hikes with us.
Looks like you have a new hiking partner.

Donna:)