Where to View the Cliffs on Square Mountain & Greens Ledge (Kilkenny Region)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Up north in the Kilkenny region, not far from Rogers Ledge, are two peaks that sit side-by-side. One is named Square Mountain, and the other is named Greens Ledge.

I like to photograph views of places that I've visited, or plan to visit. While doing some exploring just a bit northwest of Round Mountain, I came across a spot where I was able to get a view that encompassed the massive south-facing cliffs for both Square Mountain and Greens Ledge. If this view had been from a natural feature such as a ledge, etc, then I would have been really excited. However it was from an old logging cut. But, be that as it may, I don't know of any natural feature where one can get a view that's similar to the one shown in the photo below. Is there someplace out there that I'm unaware of??

Square Mountain (left) and Greens Ledge (right)
P1040814.JPG

I don't know of any natural feature where one can get a view that's similar to the one shown in the photo below. Is there someplace out there that I'm unaware of??
I think you can see them from Rte.110 but probably you don't consider that natural either. How about a field near the shoulder, or do you require a named feature?

View of Cliffs

Don't know if you have been to Roger's Ledge, but there is a similar view of Square and Green's from the backside of the Ledge(descending south, ascending north)...with your photo skill, I 'm sure you would get a top 10 picture!! Lefty E

Roy & Lefty: Thanks for your reply and suggestions . . . much appreciated!

Lefty, I have been to Rogers Ledge, but have only done it from South Pond via the Kilkenny Ridge Trail (KRT). I don't recall seeing a view of Square Mtn and Greens Ledge from that approach. But, it sounds like you might be talking about the view being available from the KRT as you approach Rogers Ledge from Unknown Pond. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Deer Mt.

I have never been up to Deer Mt. before, but would like to try that sometime and I bet there would be a similar view...Deer Mt. has nice east/south facing cliffs itself......

I have never been up to Deer Mt. before, but would like to try that sometime and I bet there would be a similar view...Deer Mt. has nice east/south facing cliffs itself......
Lefty, give Deer Mountain a try sometime! It's a pretty easy bushwhack off the Mill Brook Trail. There are some nice views from the ledges up there, and also up near the summit area are interesting remnants of the old fire tower and fire warden's cabin. And yes, you are correct that the views from Deer Mountain have some similarities to the views from Square Mountain and Greens Ledge.

Now if there were just some north-facing ledges on Deer Mountain (or anywhere along the Deer Ridge) that would be an ideal vantage point for viewing those south-facing cliffs on Square Mountain and Greens Ledge!:)