You never know who might be on the trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems OK until you read that they had to scan the hiker for dangerous objects...I go into the woods to get away from this stuff:D

Seriously though...this is why you don't want to be flying into the same city at the same time as the President.

I bet they were wearing cotton.

I think it's very cool for her. Wish it was me.

What a life. Can't even get out of the car for a little walk with out security.

I can't imagine the planning that went into this little trek and then to share it with who knows how many security people seen and unseen.

What a wonderful story, and experience for this hiking lady!

I've tramped around on trails for 55 years and have met many interesting people along the way, but never a U.S. president.

G.

What a wonderful story, and experience for this hiking lady!

I've tramped around on trails for 55 years and have met many interesting people along the way, but never a U.S. president.

G.

Maybe you did and didn't know it:eek: ...or maybe you have and they aren't President yet:D

I'm trying to imagine hiking along, lost in my thoughts, then suddenly encountering the "men in black" secret service guys on the trail, behind the trees...jumping out, scanning me...... I wonder what their protocol is if they encounter a bear or an aggressive moose like the one that was patrolling the Zeland trail a couple of years ago:eek:

Interesting story, except they called her "elderly" -- at 65? Really. That's the old elderly. Today's age count brings it much higher than that young age. :mad:

"Elderly" used to mean "being past middle age". Now it's mostly used as a euphemism for "old and decrepit". I'll accept "old", thank you. (66 in two weeks).

Wow, with all the stuff and junk I carry in my pack the Secret Service would have a field day asking me what this and that are for. Rather have them unpack my pack, I'd rather have them wand me and then take the pack from me while I got to meet the prez and first lady. What a treat.

I used to hope I'd run into Justice Douglas on one of the summits in the Whites or ADKs but never did. Now that he's retired, hope I get lucky and get to meet Justice Souter on one of my hikes in the Whites this summer.

I visited Olympic National Park in 2003 and met a ranger who said the week before our visit he was unexpectedly asked to guide Hillary Clinton on an 6-mile round trip hike into the Hoh Rain Forest. He said it was one of the highlights of his career.

For some reason, I've always been impressed by high-level politicians who take the time to do such things, since many don't seem to get out much.

Most hikers carry a small knife. A 3" swiss army knife isn't much of a threat, but I wonder if they would have taken mine. Being suddenly surrounded on a quiet hike would be very unpleasant to say the least, although I'd have to say it would be worth it for having the story to tell.

For some reason, I've always been impressed by high-level politicians who take the time to do such things, since many don't seem to get out much.
Any elected official using our public land (and other public resources) is a Good Thing in my book: it lets them see what they're responsible for, and can't help but stiffen their commitment to protect it. Obama on the AT, Dukakis on the T, Kerry wiping out on 126...well that last wasn't so fun, but I'm guessing Concord got a little more diligent about sweeping afterwards.

Wow, with all the stuff and junk I carry in my pack the Secret Service would have a field day asking me what this and that are for. Rather have them unpack my pack, I'd rather have them wand me and then take the pack from me while I got to meet the prez and first lady. What a treat.

I used to hope I'd run into Justice Douglas on one of the summits in the Whites or ADKs but never did. Now that he's retired, hope I get lucky and get to meet Justice Souter on one of my hikes in the Whites this summer.

trust me if I was hiking with you, my pack contents would take all the heat off you for sure.:eek:

The closest I came to a situation like that was few years ago. I ran into Pete Fish on the trail to Marcy. He was actually scouting it as the next day he guided the then Governor Spitzer and his family up Mount Marcy.
Missed them by a day.

The closest I came to a situation like that was few years ago. I ran into Pete Fish on the trail to Marcy. He was actually scouting it as the next day he guided the then Governor Spitzer and his family up Mount Marcy.
Missed them by a day.

I don't think you missed it...seems like meeting Pete Fish would be the greater honor.

Ten Essentials

They didn't look like they were carrying the 10 essentials. I wonder if they would be charged for a rescue in New Hampshire? Then again, they probably have there own helicopter. :D

Let's see, the "ten essentials":

1. Nuclear missile launch codes.

What else would be on that list?

Hmmm....

Let's see, the "ten essentials":

1. Nuclear missile launch codes.

What else would be on that list?

2. A cell phone with Vladimir Putin's home phone number in it?

Seriously, I'm glad he's hiking. Other times we've had presidents who valued the outdoors our community has really benefited (Think Teddy Roosevelt and the founding of the national park system).