Avalanche Warning for Tucks 4/29/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More info HERE

This part is pretty clear.

I am confident in saying that avalanches are CERTAIN today. THESE CONDITIONS MAKE IT CLEAR. AVOID AVALANCHE TERRAIN, AVOID JUST GOING "TO LOOK", AND AVOID THE TEMPTATION TO TOUCH DEEP SNOW BECAUSE IT MAY TOUCH YOU....HARD.

Can someone explain what part of Tuckerman's Ravine this warning applies to? Does it literally mean you shouldn't go in there AT ALL? Does it mean that even Lunch Rocks could be potentially affected?

I've never been to Tucks so I really don't have an idea of where the risk is. It is just the upper parts of it where people ski, or the whole thing?

Does it affect the side of the ravine where skiers typically hike up?

Last edited:
IMO, A large avalanche can certainally carry a long way, considering the amount of snow and the wind loading that has gone on in the last 2 days, I for one would not enjoy my lunch at lunch rocks, whick can be reached by a large avalanche.

This type of storm with 2' of snow and wind from the NW loads lot of snow onto most of the areas of the ravine. From today's report (same link above).

This morning evidence of avalanche activity can be seen in Hillman's Highway, the Lower Snowfields, Left Gully and the Headwall. From the Chute across the Headwall and into Right Gully large areas of new snow exists likely covering up a number of fracture lines from the past 24 hours. We will have more information on where avalanches occurred later today after we have been in the field.

Read more of the report for the discussion regarding slabs and the forecasted warmer weather coming. I would avoid lunch rocks today, and check the report.

Check out Dave's Trip Report for pictures of lunch rocks and other information on the ravine.

Can someone explain what part of Tuckerman's Ravine this warning applies to? Does it literally mean you shouldn't go in there AT ALL? Does it mean that even Lunch Rocks could be potentially affected?
My reading of the advisory is that any part of the Ravine is/was at high risk. (Avalanches can come down the walls and onto the floor.) Today's (Fri) report list all routes in the Ravine as "considerable avalanche danger" and observes that avalanches have come down many of the gullies since Wednesday night.

Lunch Rocks is actually a fairly dangerous location--it sits low down in an avalanche chute.

Does it affect the side of the ravine where skiers typically hike up?
Skiers ascend many routes--they often ascend the gullies that they plan to ski down. Most of these routes are currently at risk.

Doug

Lunch Rocks are notoriously unsafe to begin with, it's a prime location to be hit with ice falls. I never hang out there.

But this avy warning is indeed for the entire ravine. Most casual hikers have no concept of how far an avy will run, or the fact that pretty much the entire ravine is in one avy path or another. It's about as unsafe in the ravine right now as it ever is.

We're contemplating a ski on the west side of the mountain for Saturday, no way I will go into the bowls with the current wind loading. 24 hours simply isn't enough time for the snow pack to settle for my tastes. We're trying to assess whether the west side will be stable enough for skiing on Saturday. Right now it's too soon to tell.

Lets not forget what happens when new snow slabs get sun baked and warmed considerably, (what will be happening Saturday.) I sure never will, 2nd scariest moment of my life.

Keep in mind, I was FAR from the first person down Center Headwall that day.

BE CAREFUL!

Last edited: